Disabled Mothers: Stories and Scholarship by and about Mothers With Disabilities
Author: Demeter Press
Synopsis and Key Points:
Collection of scholarly works and personal accounts explores and analyzes issues of parenting by mothers with a variety of physical and mental disabilities.
Main DigestDemeter Press is pleased to announce the publication of the collection, Disabled Mothers: Stories and Scholarship by and about Mothers With Disabilities, Edited by Gloria Filax and Dena Taylor.
This collection of 18 scholarly works and personal accounts from Canada, the U.S., and Australia explores and analyzes issues of parenting by mothers with a variety of physical and mental disabilities.
The book delves into pregnancy, birth, adoption, child custody, discrimination, and disability politics. Noticing dominant ideas, meanings, and narratives about mothering and disability, as the contributors of this book do, exposes how the actual lives and experiences of mothers with disabilities are key to challenging cultural norms and therefore discrimination.
"Disabled Mothers brings together disability studies' perspectives and the lived experiences of mothering and being mothered. It gives life to issues of body, state control, freedom, racism, sexism, and the familial networks of care and belonging in new and radically accessible ways. Disabled Mothers is essential reading for those who want to open their imaginations to the various ways the life of disability and that of mothering engage us, touch us, and make us re-think what we thought we knew about maternal relations and embodiment." - TANYA TITCHKOSKY, OISE of the University of Toronto, Author of Disability, Self and Society.
"The strength of this collection is the breadth and scope of the coverage on the subject of mothers with disabilities. Alternating between research studies and personal essays, this book provides important information and readability." - MARY GRIMLEY MASON, PhD Professor of English emerita Resident Scholar, Brandeis University's Women's Studies Research.
Disabled Mothers: Stories and Scholarship by and about Mothers With Disabilities , Edited by Gloria Filax and Dena Taylor from Demeter Press.
- 1 - Creation, Evolution, and the Handicapped: Crushing the Death Image : Pastor Richard Luther Corwin (2016/06/23)
- 2 - Missing Frames: Memoir of a Woman Living with Hidden Disabilities : Scooter (2016/07/01)
- 3 - Writings On the Wall: Disability Advocate's Uplifting Book of Poetry : Robert M. Hensel (2016/08/14)
- 4 - Wheelchair Exercising Book: Zero Assistance Resistance Training by Dan Highcock : Dan Highcock (2016/10/03)
- 5 - Single Handed : A Book by Hanoch Budin : Hanoch Budin (2016/10/27)
- 6 - Spinning in Circles and Learning From Myself by Tsara Shelton : Tsara Shelton (2018/05/16)
- 7 - Book : Walk in My Shoes : DeafBlind Writers Tell All : Ramona Rice (2017/01/03)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.