Social Security Wants You to Share Your Personal Stories and Reflections
- Publish Date: 2010/07/26
- Author: SOCIAL SECURITY
Outline: Share Your Personal Stories and Reflections to Help Social Security Celebrate 75 Years of Public Service.
Main DigestShare Your Personal Stories and Reflections to Help Social Security Celebrate 75 Years of Public Service.
Michael J. Astrue, Commissioner of Social Security, today announced that Social Security is asking members of the public, as well as current and former employees, to help the agency celebrate its 75 years of public service by sharing their personal stories and reflections about how Social Security has touched their lives. To share your story, go to www.socialsecurity.gov and click on the box that says "Social Security Celebrates 75 Years of Public Service." Selected stories will be edited for content and brevity and posted for everyone to read.
"On August 14, the most important and successful domestic program in our nation's history turns 75," Commissioner Astrue said. "For three quarters of a century, Social Security has provided a financial lifeline to millions of Americans. As we approach our anniversary, Social Security remains a solid foundation for retirees, the disabled, and survivors. I encourage everyone to visit our website, share their stories, and join me in wishing Social Security a happy 75th anniversary."
Social Security is asking people to tell how the program made a difference in their lives and the lives of their family and friends.
- How did it feel to receive your first retirement check
- Tell us if you received survivors benefits when a loved one died.
- How has the Social Security disability program helped you
- How did a Social Security Administration employee go above and beyond to provide you with great service
- Current and former Social Security Administration employees: Share your memorable stories of service.
Social Security also will soon launch a video contest "How Social Security Has Made a Difference in My Life." Submitted videos will be posted on the agency's YouTube channel and the winning video will be posted on www.socialsecurity.gov. Details of the contest will be posted on the website later this week.
Social Security invites the public to view a special photo gallery that takes them on a brief journey through the agency's 75-year history. The photo gallery is available at www.socialsecurity.gov/75thanniversary. A more extensive collection of history-related materials that presents both the institutional history of the Social Security Administration and the history of the Social Security program is available at www.socialsecurity.gov/history.
- 1 - U.S. Department of Social Security Open Hours | U.S. Social Security Administration | 2019/12/02
- 2 - Disability Benefits May Run Dry by 2016 | SSA Press Office | 2012/04/25
- 3 - 1.6% COLA Estimate for 2020 | The Senior Citizens League | 2019/09/12
- 4 - New Conditions Added to U.S. Social Security Disability Benefits Compassionate Allowances List | The United States Social Security Administration | 2017/09/08
- 5 - U.S. Social Security Expands Compassionate Allowance List | The United States Social Security Administration | 2018/08/20