From Mobilise to Disabled Motoring UK
Author: Disabled Motoring UK
Disabled Motoring UK is the new name for Mobilise the charity who campaign on behalf of people with disabilities in the UK.
Main DigestDisabled Motoring UK is the new name for Mobilise, the charity who campaign on behalf of the 1.3 million people with disabilities in the UK.
Disabled Motoring UK is a campaigning charity for disabled drivers, passengers and Blue Badge holders.
They lobby government and businesses to improve parking, refuelling and access provision for disabled people, so that they can access the goods and services that they need. Disabled Motoring UK is not just an organization for disabled drivers; they also campaign for and support passengers, scooter and wheelchair users, families and carers.
Their continuing campaigns will include:
The abuse of disabled parking bays, the reform of the Blue Badge scheme, accessibility of city centers, and the lack of parking at healthcare facilities. Disabled Motoring UK will continue to co-ordinate the successful Baywatch campaign, which surveys the abuse of disabled parking space in supermarkets across the UK and encourages retailers to improve their provision and enforcement of Blue Badge bays.
To further raise awareness of the many issues that affect disabled motorists, the charity is re-creating the epic journey made across the Alps by one of their founders, the late O. A. Denly, in an "Argson Invalid Carriage." Having contracted polio whilst serving in the Royal Navy, "Denny" made his incredible trip in 1947. Now his original three-wheeled Argson trike has been restored so that it can repeat this epic journey in 2011. The trike will be driven in a relay from the England to France and across the Alps by members of Disabled Motoring UK, disability campaigners and members of the UK Armed Forces, before returning to the finish line at the Houses of Parliament.
Following the trike's return home, Disabled Motoring UK will be hosting their inaugural award ceremony at the Goodwood Revival on Friday September 16th 2011. These awards will celebrate the advances made for disabled motoring and the achievements of both individuals and organizations in various fields including accessible accommodation, parking provision and disability sport.
- 1 - Car Dealerships to Provide Hand Controls for Test Drives for Disabled : Potter Handy (2017/08/03)
- 2 - Renting a Wheelchair Van for Vacation : Susan Hawkins for AMS Vans, Inc. (2013/04/08)
- 3 - What Do Self-Driving Vehicles Mean for Disabled Travelers : Laura Chapman (2012/10/01)
- 4 - Disability Community and the Future of Autonomous Vehicles : United Spinal Association (2016/12/19)
- 5 - Teleoperation and Autonomy Can Improve Mobility For Disabled Drivers : GATEway Project (2017/01/04)
- 6 - Ethical Debate On Self-Driving Cars and Decision Making Algorithms : University of Massachusetts Lowell (2017/10/09)
- 7 - Conference on Autonomous Vehicles and the Disability Community : Auto Alliance (2017/10/27)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.