FDA Intends to Remove Unapproved Drugs From Market
Author: U.S. Food and Drug Administration
Published: 2011-03-02 : (Rev. 2016-11-05)
Regulators aim to take certain unapproved prescription medicines for cough cold and allergy symptoms off the U.S. market.
Federal regulators aim to take certain unapproved prescription medicines intended to relieve cough, cold, and allergy symptoms off the U.S. market.
According to the U.S. FDA these products may be risky to use because they have not been evaluated by FDA to assure that they are safe, effective, and of good quality.
FDA announced Wednesday that the agency intends to remove certain unapproved prescription medicines intended to relieve cough, cold, and allergy symptoms from the U.S. market.
FDA officials say they have numerous concerns about these products: some may have potentially risky combinations of ingredients, while others marketed as "timed-release" may release active ingredients too slowly, too quickly, or inconsistently.
FDA has also received reports that some of the products have names that look or sound similar to other products a problem that could contribute to medication errors.
Domestic and foreign establishments that manufacture, repack, or re-label drug products in the United States are required to register and list all of their commercially marketed drug products with the FDA.
Many drug firms do not update their drug listing information with FDA as required by law; consequently, the information in DRLS is both over- and under-inclusive.
To see a list of unapproved prescription cough, cold, and allergy products visit:
- 1 - Why Antidepressants Take So Long to Work : Sharon Parmet (2016/07/28)
- 2 - List of Benzodiazepines : Types and Medicinal Use : Disabled World (2018/11/07)
- 3 - The Dwindling Stock of Antibiotics : Washington University in St. Louis (2014/10/10)
- 4 - Actemra Rheumatoid Arthritis Drug Tied to Significant Side Effects : Parker Waichman LLP (2017/07/24)
- 5 - Ocrevus for Relapsing-Remitting Multiple Sclerosis : Roche Canada (2017/08/18)
- 6 - Are Generic Drugs the Same as Brand Name Medications : Disabled World (2011/09/14)
- 7 - List of Generic Equivalents for Brand Name Drugs : Disabled World (2011/09/14)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.