Disability Accessible Attractions Myrtle Beach South Carolina USA
Published: 2008-12-27 - Updated: 2019-02-17
Author: S Duncan
Synopsis: Information regarding wheelchair and disability accessible attractions in Myrtle Beach area South Carolina USA.
Have you looked around for somewhere to take your family to the beach, but because of disability concerns, you questioned whether to visit a beach at all?
In Other News:
Well, the Grand Strand area would like to assure you that vacationers of all capabilities have a fair chance of having a good time here at the beach. Many organizations, public and private, offer resources, such as the City of Myrtle Beach in South Carolina which endeavors to make certain that Grand Strand beaches are accessible.
Beach-going wheelchairs with soft wheels (free but limited to 1-hour use) at 22 different life guard stations in Myrtle Beach in summer (off season available at the police station). Beach going wheelchairs and handicapped parking are available at the following locations:
77th Ave. N., 72nd Ave. N., 54th Ave. N., 24th Ave. N., 8th Ave. N., 5th Ave. N., 8th Ave. S. In North Myrtle Beach, go to 1st Avenue South. Call North Myrtle Beach Parks and Recreation Department, 843.280.55784 or 843-626-7645x129 to reserve a beach chair.
Golf Cart Rental
If you display your handicap parking sign on your golf cart, you can drive the cart on Grand Strand beaches (not touring but driving it to a spot on the beach).
Golf cart rentals are available through Jack's, 843.249.6445.
One golf cart access with van parking is at 9th Avenue, and others are available, as well.
Beach Access Points
- Myrtle Beach and North Myrtle Beach - 27 handicap-accessible sites) enjoymyrtlebeach.com - Some are pathway only (widths vary); others are free parking. ADA-compliant beach access crossover at 15th Avenue North.
- Van-access handicap parking places vary.
- See 9th Avenue South (crossing Ocean Drive). Wheelchair-accessible van rentals: Wheelchair Getaways of South Carolina, 866-288-8118.
- The Cherry Grove Pier, located at the front door to the Prince Resort, is wheelchair accessible, but bathrooms do not include grab-bars (call 843.249.1625 for further details).
Dragon's Lair Fantasy Golf at Broadway at the Beach has a wheelchair-accessible course (the one through the castle) and features a special putter for users of wheelchairs.
If off season, ask for a special seasonal discount. (843) 444-3215.
Exhibits at a go-at-your-own pace, stingrays and crabs to touch, wheelchair accessible.
Broadway at the Beach
Miles of boardwalk over and around water for viewing and strolling.
Park your wheelchair by the bridge and use the vending machines for food to feed the ducks and large koi.
Also, check out the IMAX Theater for a virtual experience into many options.
Hard Rock Park
The Park offers wheelchair rentals for the convenience of Park guests with disabilities.
Both wheelchairs and Electric Convenience Vehicles (ECV) are available for rent at the Rentals Office located at the front of the All Access Entry Plaza.
Wheelchair Rental Fee: $10.00/day; ECV Rental Fee: $35.00/day.
You must be at least 18 years of age. Valid photo ID required. Rentals must be returned to the Rental Office.
The Cherry Grove Pier features public parking spaces only a few feet from the pier.
With ramps you can roll right out to the pier and fish to your heart's content while seeing the beach and rolling surf, meeting new friends and sharing similar interests with other people. Everyone of all capabilities is out there.
Although some anglers can be on the serious and intense side when they are on the hunt for their catches, most people are quite helpful and friendly.
The Cherry Grove web site is cherrygrovepier.com. Also, check out the web site for anglers who need options in fishing gear - adaptiveoutdoorsman.com
Additionally, because this Grand Strand area has so many activities, people of all capabilities come for a wide range of in and outdoor interests. If you have not already looked for information, perhaps our article will help you understand how wide your options are:
Things to See and Do in North and South Carolina
- Go-Cart Racing: 3901 N. Kings Highway, Myrtle Beach, indoor facility. Call for hours of operation and cost - 843-916-1111.
- NASCAR Speed Park: Myrtle Beach activity. Call for details: 843-918-8725.
- Bull Island Adventure - South of Myrtle Beach: Enjoy with dolphin-watching, shelling, birding, wildlife and "Boneyard Beach."
- Brookgreen Gardens: Near Murrells Inlet, a park with animals, gardens, walking trails, art. For more information. 843-235-6049.
- Myrtle Beach Children's Museum: Hands-on exhibits. Cost is $7 per person; age 1 and younger free. 2501 N. Kings Highway (843) 946-9469
- IMAX 3-D Theater: Broadway at the Beach. 3-D on a screen 6 stories high. Admission is $12 for adults and $10 for children. 448-IMAX, 866-43D-IMAX.
- Laser-Tag: Myrtle Beach company features laser tag and indoor maze. For information, call 843.467.2229.
- MagiQuest: Live-action game with more than 150 wand-activated effects where players interact with videos in a three-dimensional fantasy world. For information, 913-9460 or 866-353-6244.
- Maze Mania: This 2.5 acre attraction features a wooden fence maze that changes daily and a prize for guessing the way out of the maze before time is called. Gilligan's Island Mini-Golf is adjacent. For information, 843-651-1641.
- River Excursion: City of Conway Marina, 4 Elm St., Conway, SC, features a 75-minute history and nature tour on the Waccamaw River. For more information, call 843-246-1495.
- Swamp Fox Tours: A tour of the historic district of Georgetown on the blue and white tram, including Rice Museum, Prevost Gallery in Charleston, and Mary Mann, Kirton-Hamilton, Savage-Smith and Sampson West Homes. For information, call 843-527-1112.
- Waccatee Zoological Farm: Private zoo in Socastee featuring wildlife sanctuary and 1.5 miles of trails through exotic exhibits and petting zoo. For more information, call 843-650-8500.
- Myrtle Waves Water Park: Many fun rides and water features. For more information, 843.913.9269.
- Family Kingdom Oceanfront Water Park: Myrtle Beach rides and water features. For more information 843.916.0400.
- Night Spots for Young People: Surfside Beach. Hip Hop 'N Chillin' - For children in grades 3-8. Disc jockey, karaoke, live music, located in Surfside Beach. See website for more information and pricing. For more information, 843-238-1200.
- Myrtle Beach State Park: Exploration Picnicking. Activities. For more information, call 843.238.5325.
- Children's Museum of South Carolina: Located near the Convention Center. For more information. 843. 946.9469.
- Southport / Kure Beach Ferry, NC: Ferry rides save gasoline money. Call for times of departure. Note: The ferry is currently (December 2008) closed for repairs and has plans to reopen in the spring.
- Bald Head Island Ferry: Bald Head hosts 14 miles of beautiful unspoiled beaches, a golf course, and a marina.
- Horse-drawn Tours of Wilmington: Narrated tours of Wilmington's historic waterfront and tree lined streets start from Water and Market Street, available April-October. $9 adults, $4 children. For more information, 910-251-8889.
- Steamboat Ride: North Water Street, Wilmington, NC. A true sternwheeler, The Henrietta cruises the Cape Fear River, docking by the Hilton. For more information call 800-676-0162 or 910-343-1611.
- Jungle Rapids: Downtown Wilmington and Wrightsville Beach, 5320 Oleander Drive, Wilmington, NC. Family entertainment-- arcade, water slide, go carts, and miniature golf. For more information call 910-791-0666.
- Children's Museum Wilmington: 1020 Market Street, Wilmington, NC. Hands-on museum for children of all ages--grocery store, pirate ship, medical center, dress up, theater, water play, and weather station. For more information call 910-254-3534.
- Fort Fisher and the NC Aquarium: Fort Fisher State Historic Site, Kure Beach, NC. For more information, 910.458.5538.
- Movie Production Studios of Wilmington: Wilmington, NC. Hollywood of the East with production companies and sound stages. 800.232.9227 or 910.343.3433. If interested in being an "extra" in a film contact Casting at 910.262.4228.
- Ingram Planetarium: The Village at Sunset Beach, N.C. An 85-seat domed theater and science exhibit hall. Call for hours. $8 for adults, $6 for students and seniors and $4 for children. 910-575-0033.
And there you have it, fun for all the family, and you certainly won't be bored when visiting the Carolina's!
You're reading Disabled World. See our homepage for informative disability news, reviews, sports, stories and how-tos. You can also connect with us on social media such as Twitter and Facebook or learn more about Disabled World on our about us page.
Disclaimer: Disabled World provides general information only. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. View our Advertising Policy for further information. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.
Cite Page: Journal: Disabled World. Language: English (U.S.). Author: S Duncan. Electronic Publication Date: 2008-12-27 - Revised: 2019-02-17. Title: Disability Accessible Attractions Myrtle Beach South Carolina USA, Source: <a href=https://www.disabled-world.com/travel/usa/myrtle-beach-sc.php>Disability Accessible Attractions Myrtle Beach South Carolina USA</a>. Retrieved 2021-07-30, from https://www.disabled-world.com/travel/usa/myrtle-beach-sc.php - Reference: DW#55-107.