Special Needs Apps for Kids
Synopsis and Key Points:
Information on using the iPad iPhone and iPod touch Apps with children who have special needs.
Main DigestSpecial Needs Apps 4 Kids Launches App Review System -0 SNApps4Kids.com Helps Users Choose Appropriate Apps for Children with Special Needs.
What do apps such as Monkey Preschool Lunchbox, iWrite Words and First Words Animals have in common? They require users to "drag and release" to operate them. For most kids, this skill comes naturally and is intuitive with a device like the iPad. For children with special needs, this "drag and release" skill might develop more slowly and may frustrate children who haven't mastered it. Providing this kind of information is just one of the new features of the Special Needs Apps 4 Kids review system.
SNApps4Kids found that most age ratings assigned to computer applications - or "apps" - have little relevance for children who may not be developmentally on par with their peers or who have a varied range of skills. SNApps4Kids saw a need to provide supplementary information about apps that helps users choose appropriate apps for children with special needs.
In collaboration with speech language pathologists and occupational therapists, SNApps4Kids has created an app review system that focuses on skills, not age or developmental level. Components of the review system include an assessment level, a list of embedded skills, and short video clips demonstrating the apps in use. SNApps4Kids invites users to treat the website as a helpful tool to explore the numerous apps on the market as well as to share success stories.
Where do parents start? How can devices like the iPod touch and the iPad enhance the lives of children with special needs? For some children, mobile devices paired with apps have provided a voice. Speech generating apps like ProLoquo2Go provide non-verbal or speech-delayed children with a powerful mobile tool to communicate. My Pictures Talk allows kids and caregivers to create social stories using videos, pictures and text for children to practice social skills. For all children, apps provide educational games that motivate learning. Using these apps in everyday life gives children a sense of control over their lives and offers caregivers tools to motivate, educate and improve skills. The possibilities are endless.
SNApps4Kids.com is a community of parents, therapists, doctors, and teachers who share information on how we are using the iPad, iPhone and iPod touch with children who have special needs.
- 1 - Apps for All Accessible and Universal Technology Ideathon : Apps para todos (2016/06/01)
- 2 - Google Glass Holli App Assists Social Interactions for Children with ASD : Frontiers (2017/09/16)
- 3 - Your Computer Can Help Find Potential COVID-19 Treatments : IBM (2020/04/29)
- 4 - Development of Smartphone App for Early Detection of Autism : University at Buffalo (2016/11/11)
- 5 - Serving the Under-served : Health for Everyone App : Health for Everyone (2020/04/30)
- 6 - Unitron Coach App Enables Users to Take Control of Hearing Health : Unitron (2020/02/28)
- 7 - IVH HIT App Provides Coronavirus (CoViD-19) Prevention and Safety Tips : iValueHealth (2020/02/27)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.