Special Needs Apps for Kids
- Publish Date: 2011/04/12
- Author: SNApps4Kids
Outline: Information on using the iPad iPhone and iPod touch Apps with children who have special needs.
Main DigestSpecial Needs Apps 4 Kids Launches App Review System -0 SNApps4Kids.com Helps Users Choose Appropriate Apps for Children with Special Needs.
What do apps such as Monkey Preschool Lunchbox, iWrite Words and First Words Animals have in common? They require users to "drag and release" to operate them. For most kids, this skill comes naturally and is intuitive with a device like the iPad. For children with special needs, this "drag and release" skill might develop more slowly and may frustrate children who haven't mastered it. Providing this kind of information is just one of the new features of the Special Needs Apps 4 Kids review system.
SNApps4Kids found that most age ratings assigned to computer applications - or "apps" - have little relevance for children who may not be developmentally on par with their peers or who have a varied range of skills. SNApps4Kids saw a need to provide supplementary information about apps that helps users choose appropriate apps for children with special needs.
In collaboration with speech language pathologists and occupational therapists, SNApps4Kids has created an app review system that focuses on skills, not age or developmental level. Components of the review system include an assessment level, a list of embedded skills, and short video clips demonstrating the apps in use. SNApps4Kids invites users to treat the website as a helpful tool to explore the numerous apps on the market as well as to share success stories.
Where do parents start? How can devices like the iPod touch and the iPad enhance the lives of children with special needs? For some children, mobile devices paired with apps have provided a voice. Speech generating apps like ProLoquo2Go provide non-verbal or speech-delayed children with a powerful mobile tool to communicate. My Pictures Talk allows kids and caregivers to create social stories using videos, pictures and text for children to practice social skills. For all children, apps provide educational games that motivate learning. Using these apps in everyday life gives children a sense of control over their lives and offers caregivers tools to motivate, educate and improve skills. The possibilities are endless.
SNApps4Kids.com is a community of parents, therapists, doctors, and teachers who share information on how we are using the iPad, iPhone and iPod touch with children who have special needs.
- 1 - Sesame Enable App Turns Android into Touch-Free Smartphone | Sesame Enable | 2016/05/19
- 2 - AccessAble App Takes the Chance Out of Going Out in the UK | AccessAble | 2019/02/15
- 3 - Track My Route School Bus Tracking App Gives Special Needs Parents Peace of Mind | TMR Technology | 2019/02/11
- 4 - VoiceOver Compatible Apps for Apple iPhone and Mac | Disabled World | 2011/03/06
- 5 - iPod and iPad Grants for Education | Wendy Taormina-Weiss | 2011/11/08
- 6 - Aeroplan App for People with Disabilities - eSSENTIAL Accessibility | eSSENTIAL Accessibility | 2014/09/23
- 7 - eSSENTIAL Accessibility New Android App for People with Disabilities | eSSENTIAL Accessibility | 2017/11/03
- 8 - Open eBooks - Free Digital Reading for Children in Need | Baker & Taylor | 2016/02/24
Help Spread Disability AwarenessConnect with Us on Social Media