Cell Phones May Reduce Male Fertility
Author: Queen's University
Synopsis and Key Points:
Cell phone use appears to increase level of testosterone in the body but may also lead to low sperm quality and decrease in fertility in men.
Main DigestMen who have been diagnosed with poor sperm quality and who are trying to have children should limit their cell phone use.
Researchers have found that while cell phone use appears to increase the level of testosterone circulating in the body, it may also lead to low sperm quality and a decrease in fertility.
"Our findings were a little bit puzzling," says Rany Shamloul, a postdoctoral fellow in the Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology and lead researcher on the project. "We were expecting to find different results, but the results we did find suggest that there could be some intriguing mechanisms at work."
The research team discovered that men who reported cell phone use had higher levels of circulating testosterone but they also had lower levels of luteinizing hormone (LH), an important reproductive hormone that is secreted by the pituitary gland in the brain.
The researchers hypothesize that electromagnetic waves (EMW) emitted by cell phones may have a dual action on male hormone levels and fertility.
EMW may increase the number of cells in the testes that produce testosterone; however, by lowering the levels of LH excreted by the pituitary gland, EMW may also block the conversion of this basic circulating type of testosterone to the more active, potent form of testosterone associated with sperm production and fertility.
More in-depth research is needed to determine the exact ways in which EMW affects male fertility.
- 1 - Scott Robertson - H.O.W. (Hell On Wheels) - Signs Agreement with Mirror Image Entertainment Inc. : Da Godfather of Crunk (2020/05/22)
- 2 - Lifeline Discounted Monthly Phone Service : Thomas C. Weiss (2013/11/10)
- 3 - Ham Radio Station Connects Retirement Community to World : Guide to Retirement Living Source-Book (2011/09/13)
- 4 - Conductology: Irish Breakthrough Brings Hope to Kids with Disabilities : University of Conductology (2020/03/23)
- 5 - I Can't See You - Can You See Me? : Daniel Williams (2020/02/22)
- 6 - List of Texting Shortcuts for FaceBook - SMS - Chat Rooms : Disabled World (2009/02/02)
- 7 - Cheap Internet for Disabled, Seniors and Low-Income Americans : Disabled World (2018/10/21)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.