The Signs of Bullying - What to Look for if You Suspect Your Child is Being Bullied
- Publish Date: 2010/06/09 - (Rev. 2013/11/25)
- Author: Dr. Claudio Cerullo
Outline: Be aware of signs of bullying as a child may indicate by their behavior that he or she is being bullied.
Main DigestClaudio Cerullo says to be aware of signs of bullying - A child may indicate by their behavior that he or she is being bullied.
Certain students are more susceptible to becoming victims of bullying. Students who are obese, enrolled in remedial education, have developmental disabilities, and are insecure and anxious are more at risk.
In general boys experience more physical bullying victimization, and girls are more likely to be targets of indirect victimization, such as being excluded by social groups.
Here are some signs that are of concern:
- Change in their usual route to and from activities
- Not wanting to ride the school bus
- Unusual behavior such as aggression and being unreasonable
- Asking for you to drive them to school instead of walking or riding the school bus
- Your child starts bullying their brothers, sisters and cousins, etc.
- Unexplained, cuts, bruises, scrapes and bumps
- Feeling to sick for school in the morning, and once school lets in they feel better
- Refusing to tell you what is bothering them
- Grades suddenly drop
- Continually lose money or start stealing money out of your wallet or purse,
- Clothing, school work, books and backpack destroyed
- Cell phones, ipod, mp3 player or other personal belongings turn up missing
- Coming home from school hungry
- Lack of confidence
- Not eating
- Making excuses for any of the above mentioned
- Worst of all, threats of suicide and actually attempting suicide
"If a parent suspects his or her child is bullying other students, it is critical that parents of bullies be clear that they do not support the behavior. Not only should they contact the school, but they should enforce rules regarding behavior and get their child involved with positive social activities," said Claudio Cerullo.
Dr. Claudio V. Cerullo possesses more than seventeen-years experience in education. With six years teaching in Social Science Education. Dr. Claudio Cerullo earned his Bachelor's of Arts Degree in Social Science Education where he was elected President of the Student Government and Education Association. Dr. Cerullo earned his Master's Degree in Professional Elementary and Secondary Education with his concentration in Educational Administration, earned his Doctorate of Philosophy in Educational Administration and has attended educational leadership training in Diversity/Multi-Cultural Education through Harvard University's Graduate School of Education.
- 1 - Awareness Ribbons Chart: Color and Meaning of Awareness Ribbon Causes | Disabled World | 2015/03/09
- 2 - The Sunflower Lanyard Program for Hidden Disabilities | Disabled World | 2019/11/09
- 3 - Awareness Dates: Days - Weeks - Months | Disabled World | 2011/04/30
- 4 - U.N. International Awareness and Commemorative Dates | Disabled World | 2018/12/20
- 5 - UN World Food Safety Day - 7th June Annually | World Health Organization (WHO) | 2019/06/07