World MRSA Awareness Month
Author: MRSA Survivors Network
Published: 2009-10-13 : (Rev. 2010-07-14)
MRSA Survivors Network has been drawing attention to the MRSA epidemic by launching World MRSA Day Oct 2nd.
Main DigestMRSA Activists Call for Action During World MRSA Awareness Month.
Chicago-based MRSA Survivors Network calls for action and is pushing international health organizations, the Centers for Disease Control, governments and state health departments to declare MRSA an epidemic and pandemic. "Immediate action must be taken to save lives as MRSA sweeps across the globe," states founder Jeanine Thomas.
MRSA Survivors Network has been drawing attention to the MRSA epidemic by launching World MRSA Day, Oct. 2nd, and the inaugural event was held at Loyola University Chicago. "It was an amazing and a transformational event for all of those who attended. The impact will change the course of this disease," states Thomas.
MRSA Survivors Network initiated in the U.S. Senate, senate resolution 301, designating Oct. 2nd World MRSA Day and October MRSA Awareness Month; it passed on Oct. 5th.
Activists in the U.S. and the UK are holding candlelight vigils and events throughout the month of October, World MRSA Awareness Month.
Jeanine Thomas was the first patient advocate to raise the alarm about MRSA and healthcare-acquired infections in the U.S. She became critically ill and nearly died from MRSA sepsis and C. Difficile after ankle surgery. She has combined forces with Derek Butler from MRSA Action UK and they work together to raise global awareness for antimicrobial resistance.
In the U.S., the Centers for Disease Control should immediately insert screening and isolation for MRSA into their first tier of recommendations in the HICPAC CDC Guideline for controlling MDRO's and strongly recommend them. "This would save so many lives," states Thomas.
Health organizations must be truthful and forthcoming to the public and declare MRSA at epidemic levels around the world and stop the secrecy that has surrounded MRSA for decades. Hand hygiene alone has been a failed approach for decades in controlling infections and a comprehensive proactive approach that includes active detection and isolation must be implemented.
MRSA Survivors Network and fellow activists understand working together can change the course of this disease and other healthcare-acquired infections. "It is time to join together in a global effort and in global unity to change the impact that this preventable disease has on families who have been shattered by the tragic loss of life and disabling infections," states founder Jeanine Thomas.
2009 Sponsors: 3M, StaphAseptic, Cepheid, Pfizer, Clorox, Abbott Molecular and bioMerieux.
Down-loadable posters can be found at www.worldmrsaday.org. Contact MRSA Survivors Network at: firstname.lastname@example.org or 630 325-4354.
- 1 - COVID-19 Awareness Ribbons : Coronavirus Ribbon Designs : Disabled World (2020/04/08)
- 2 - Awareness Dates: Days : Weeks : Months : Disabled World (2011/04/30)
- 3 - Awareness Ribbons Chart: Color and Meaning of Awareness Ribbon Causes : Disabled World (2015/03/09)
- 4 - Sunflower Lanyard Program for Hidden Disability Awareness : Disabled World (2019/11/09)
- 5 - Politically Correct Language of Disability : Disabled World (2009/01/28)
- 6 - World Autism Awareness Day with The Brain Broad : Tsara Shelton (2020/04/02)
- 7 - List of U.S. Presidential Proclamation Dates : Disabled World (2018/12/20)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.