Providing Home Assistance to Seniors
Published: 2009-08-16 : (Rev. 2014-03-14)
Senior assistance to help Seniors stay in their homes and keep them involved in social activities without taking away their independence.
Main DigestSenior citizens want to stay independent and involved with family and their community yet their health or mobility issues may make that difficult.
There are ways to provide Senior assistance to help Seniors stay in their homes and keep them involved in social activities without taking away their independence.
Senior Assistance - Senior Citizen Computer
A great means, to provide a way to keep seniors involved in life, is to provide them with a computer.
- Make sure the Senior Citizen can afford being on the Internet. (Check out the special AARP rate for Internet access - products.aarp.org/discounts/home/earthlink/
- Ensure that the computer is working properly.
- Spend the time necessary to teach them how to use it, send and receive email, how to view pictures received, and how to surf the Internet to find information and products.
- Become the first email address added to their address book and become an Internet pen pal with them.
Senior Citizens - Miscellaneous Assistance
There are always small items that need attention in a home. You could:
- change a light bulb.
- do some touch-up painting.
- weed the garden.
- take care of mowing and trimming the yard.
- make sure the trash is out for pick-up on time.
- shovel snow
- ask what else needs attention.
While you are attending to these tasks visit with the Senior Citizen and catch them up on what is going on in the community.
Senior Citizen Activities
It is important for everyone to be able to get outside every once in a while. Depending on the Senior's capabilities you could:
- take a slow walk around the neighborhood.
- help them work their garden.
- sit on the front step or lawn chair and be ready for a great conversation.
Being in the fresh air will lift their spirits and you may hear some great stories of happenings in the neighborhood years ago.
Senior Citizen - Homebound Idea
If the Senior can not leave their home you could bring something that will keep their interest during the day. Bird watching is something you could easily and inexpensively provide by:
- hang a bird feeder outside a window where the Senior spends most of their day.
- bring a hummingbird feeder over, put it in a tree, and keep it filled with nectar.
Senior Home Care - Holiday Celebration
Take some time and help put out decorations to celebrate the holidays. There are probably boxes of decorations, packed in the Senior's house, that were set out years ago.
- Carve a pumpkin with, or for, them and be there to pass out candy on Halloween. The Senior Citizens will have a wonderful time seeing the kids in their costumes.
- Set out the Christmas decorations. These all have a story and meaning for the Senior. Seeing the decorations again will make the holiday season more festive.
- Make sure you also put the items back.
These are just examples of what a person could do to provide Senior assistance for the Senior Citizens in their neighborhood so they can stay independent and involved. Make the decision to help and then get involved.
Reference: Toni Grundstrom (pen name - georgelarson) has been a freelance writer and telecommuter for over 17 years. achievewithus.blogspot.ca My goal is to continue to succeed in life while combating MS. I am using my 18 years of marketing experience and writing background to write articles on marketing, disability, and activities I enjoy and interest me. I design and build stained glass creations including stepping stones, garden art, hanging panels and windows for your home.
- 1 - Report Reveals Distress, Anger, Depression and Burnout Among Family Carers : Health Quality Ontario (2016/04/08)
- 2 - Certified Nursing Assistant Code of Ethics : Thomas C. Weiss (2009/07/21)
- 3 - Family Caregivers and Employer Compassion : Caregivers with Hope (2016/02/23)
- 4 - Critical Caregiving Issues Fact Sheets : Family Caregiver Alliance (2011/09/26)
- 5 - Film Highlights Absurdity of 15 Minute U.K. Care Visits : UNISON (2017/04/12)
- 6 - Yelp Reviews of Nursing Homes Tend to Focus on Staff Attitudes and Responsiveness : University of Southern California (2018/04/26)
- 7 - Palliative Care Findings on Caregiver Depression, LGBT Partners, Moral Distress : Loyola University Health System (2018/02/20)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.