Gates Foundation to Dedicate $10 billion Over 10 years
Published : 2010-01-30 - Updated : 2016-06-13
Author : GAVI's PneumoADIP
🛈 Synopsis : Gates Foundation to dedicate $10 billion over 10 years to support vaccine research development and delivery throughout the developing world.
IVAC Executive Director Dr. Orin Levine commends Gates Foundation announcement - Insists time is now for commitments from donor nations, industry and developing country governments.
The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation announced it would dedicate $10 billion over the next ten years to support vaccine research, development and delivery throughout the developing world. This commitment is unprecedented.
Preventable diseases such as pneumonia, diarrhea and malaria take the lives of 5 million children worldwide every year, mostly in low-income countries, simply because life-saving vaccines don't reach those who need them most. Today's commitment from the Gates Foundation promises to take the biggest step yet toward addressing this global inequity.
"Today's announcement is a major boost for global health and vaccines. The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation has once again set the bar for results-driven aid. By aiming at pneumonia, diarrhea, and malaria, the funding will save millions of lives," said Orin Levine, executive director of IVAC.
But the Gates Foundation cannot achieve the full promise of vaccines on its own. Manufacturers must increase their investments in vaccine research and development, donor countries must mobilize to help fund new vaccines, and developing countries must make the investments and take the steps necessary for delivering life-saving vaccines to their children.
Now more than ever and in light of the opportunities provided by the Gates Foundation's commitment, we urge all parties to work together to ensure access to life saving vaccines to those who need them worldwide.
The International Vaccine Access Center (IVAC), has as its mission to accelerate global access to life-saving vaccines through development and implementation of evidence-based policies. IVAC work to strengthen the evidence base for vaccine introduction includes undertaking targeted, policy-focused research in areas such as disease burden, cost-effectiveness, vaccine policy, demand forecasting and disease epidemiology.
Related Foundations - Nonprofits Documents
- 1: Soap, Cleaning the World and Saving Lives : Clean the World Foundation is committed to reducing waste from discarded soap products and preventing deaths from hygiene-related illnesses.
- 2: MercyCorps Organization Overview : Overview of MercyCorps Organization who's mission is to create secure, productive and just communities.
- 3: The LD Resources Foundation : An overview of The LD Resources Foundation which provides access to knowledge for adults who experience forms of learning disabilities.
- 4: Initiative by Afford Promises All Australians Access to Disability Supports in Response to COVID-19 : Australian Foundation for Disability (AFFORD) has launched a new initiative called Afford Care, to combat gaps in disability supports caused by COVID-19 disruptions.
- 5: List of Disability Organizations : List of Government, NGO's and disability organizations that provide help, support, and assistance for persons with disabilities.
You're reading Disabled World. Be sure to check out our homepage for further informative disability news, reviews, exclusive stories and how-tos. You can also follow Disabled World on social media sites such as Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
Disclaimer: Disabled World provides general information only. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. View our Advertising Policy for further information. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.
Journal: Disabled World. Language: English (U.S.). Author: GAVI's PneumoADIP. Electronic Publication Date: 2010-01-30 - Revised: 2016-06-13. Title: Gates Foundation to Dedicate $10 billion Over 10 years, Source: <a href=https://www.disabled-world.com/disability/foundations/gates-donation.php>Gates Foundation to Dedicate $10 billion Over 10 years</a>. Retrieved 2021-04-11, from https://www.disabled-world.com/disability/foundations/gates-donation.php - Reference: DW#341-3102.