New Social Security Policy for Same Sex Relationships
Author: United States Social Security Administration : Contact: www.socialsecurity.gov
Published: 2014-06-28 : (Rev. 2016-03-27)
New US Social Security policy lets the agency recognize some non-marital legal relationships as marriages for determining entitlement to benefits.
Social Security has published new instructions that allow the agency to process more claims in which entitlement or eligibility is affected by a same-sex relationship.
These instructions come in response to last year's Supreme Court decision in U.S. vs. Windsor, which found Section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act unconstitutional.
This latest policy development lets the agency recognize some non-marital legal relationships as marriages for determining entitlement to benefits.
These instructions also allow Social Security to begin processing many claims in states that do not recognize same-sex marriages or non-marital legal relationships.
We have consulted with the Department of Justice and determined that the Social Security Act requires the agency to follow state law in Social Security cases.
The new policy also addresses Supplemental Security Income claims based on same-sex relationships.
"As with previous same-sex marriage policies, we worked closely with the Department of Justice," said Carolyn W. Colvin, Acting Commissioner of Social Security. "We are bound by the law within the Social Security Act, and we have to respect state laws. We remain committed to treating all Americans fairly, with dignity, and respect."
If a person believes he or she may be entitled to or eligible for benefits, they are encouraged to apply now.
To learn more, please visit https://www.ssa.gov/people/same-sexcouples/
- 1 - No COLA Likely For 2021 Social Security Benefits Lose 30% of Buying Power Since 2000 : The Senior Citizens League (TSCL) (2020/05/12)
- 2 - Social Security Compassionate Allowance Conditions List : Disabled World (2009/02/24)
- 3 - Fibromyalgia and Social Security Disability Benefit Payments : Jeffrey A. Rabin & Assoc (2010/06/26)
- 4 - U.S. Social Security Urged to Suspend All Continuing Disability Reviews Due to COVID-19 : United States Senator Sherrod Brown (2020/03/19)
- 5 - Due to COVID-19 Social Security Offices to Provide Phone and Online Services Only : United States Social Security Administration (2020/03/16)
- 6 - Social Security National Slam the Scam Day : U.S. Social Security Administration (2020/03/05)
- 7 - Social Security Removes Inability to Communicate in English as Disability Benefit Factor : U.S. Social Security Administration (2020/02/24)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.