Yoga for Breast Cancer Survivors Improves Recovery
Author: University of Alberta
Synopsis and Key Points:
Special yoga classes aimed at breast cancer survivors improves recovery.
Main DigestSpecial yoga classes aimed at breast cancer survivors improves recovery.
University of Alberta research fellow Amy Speed-Andrews has examined how a specialized Iyengar yoga program for women currently in treatment for breast cancer, and who have completed treatment, makes a difference in their recovery.
For two years groups of study participants were asked to fill out a questionnaire about their physical and mental health at the beginning of a 10-week session of Iyengar yoga and again at the end. After analyzing the data that was collected Speed-Andrews, from the Faculty of Physical Education and Recreation, found that after the yoga 94 per cent said they had improvements in their quality of life; 88 per cent felt better physically; 87 per cent reported being happier and 80 per cent were less tired. Other improvements were reported in body image and in decreased levels of stress, anxiety and depression. This is significant, considering breast cancer treatments often leave women in pain, immobilized, tired and depressed.
Speed-Andrews is available to talk about her research that was recently published in the journal Cancer Nursing. She plans to add an additional component to her research once the next session of Iyengar yoga classes begin this September and wants to examine how Iyengar yoga affects these women's joint range of motion, upper body strength and balance. Speed-Andrews also hopes one day to study how this type of yoga might benefit women with advanced-stage breast cancer.
- 1 - Live Seated Yoga Classes for Seniors and Disabled : Adaptive Yoga Network (2020/04/27)
- 2 - Yoga for Men Announces Yoga for Veterans Program : Yoga for Men, LLC (2016/11/10)
- 3 - Yoga Found to be Helpful for Lower Back Pain : UM SOM (2017/02/07)
- 4 - Chair Yoga An Effective Alternative Treatment For Osteoarthritis : Florida Atlantic University (2017/01/12)
- 5 - Benefits of Yoga for Rheumatoid Arthritis and Fibromyalgia : European League Against Rheumatism (2011/05/26)
- 6 - Yoga for Arthritis Symptoms & Mood : Johns Hopkins Medicine (2015/09/16)
- 7 - Yoga Provides Benefits to Women with Breast Cancer : Wiley-Blackwell (2009/02/25)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.