Connection Between Yoga and Mood
Author: Boston University Medical Center
Synopsis and Key Points:
New study finds a new connection between yoga exercising and your mood.
Main DigestNew study finds new connection between yoga and mood
Researchers from Boston University School of Medicine (BUSM) have found that yoga may be superior to other forms of exercise in its positive effect on mood and anxiety. The findings, which currently appear on-line at Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, is the first to demonstrate an association between yoga postures, increased GABA levels and decreased anxiety.
The researchers set out to contrast the brain gamma-aminobutyric (GABA) levels of yoga subjects with those of participants who spent time walking. Low GABA levels are associated with depression and other widespread anxiety disorders.
The researchers followed two randomized groups of healthy individuals over a 12-week long period. One group practiced yoga three times a week for one hour, while the remaining subjects walked for the same period of time. Using magnetic resonance spectroscopic (MRS) imaging, the participants' brains were scanned before the study began. At week 12, the researchers compared the GABA levels of both groups before and after their final 60-minute session.
Each subject was also asked to assess his or her psychological state at several points throughout the study, and those who practiced yoga reported a more significant decrease in anxiety and greater improvements in mood than those who walked. "Over time, positive changes in these reports were associated with climbing GABA levels," said lead author Chris Streeter, MD, an associate professor of psychiatry and neurology at BUSM.
According to Streeter, this promising research warrants further study of the relationship between yoga and mood, and suggests that the practice of yoga be considered as a potential therapy for certain mental disorders.
Funding for this study was provided by the National Institutes of Health.
- 1 - Live Seated Yoga Classes for Seniors and Disabled : Adaptive Yoga Network (2020/04/27)
- 2 - Yoga for Men Announces Yoga for Veterans Program : Yoga for Men, LLC (2016/11/10)
- 3 - Yoga Found to be Helpful for Lower Back Pain : UM SOM (2017/02/07)
- 4 - Chair Yoga An Effective Alternative Treatment For Osteoarthritis : Florida Atlantic University (2017/01/12)
- 5 - Benefits of Yoga for Rheumatoid Arthritis and Fibromyalgia : European League Against Rheumatism (2011/05/26)
- 6 - Yoga for Arthritis Symptoms & Mood : Johns Hopkins Medicine (2015/09/16)
- 7 - Yoga Provides Benefits to Women with Breast Cancer : Wiley-Blackwell (2009/02/25)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.