Exploring Choices in Herbal Medicine
Author: Gaetane Ross
Published: 2009-01-15 : (Rev. 2012-09-19)
Synopsis and Key Points:
Natural herbal medicines are quickly emerging as a popular trend among those that place value in their health.
Main DigestHerbal medicine is becoming a popular option among many individuals. More and more people are starting to consider the dangerous consequences of subjecting the body to chemicals that are used in prescription and over-the-counter medications.
The natural approach to health is quickly emerging as a popular trend among those that place value in their health. There are many different choices when it comes to herbal medicine. Throughout this article, you will be briefly introduced to the various options that you have that are considered to be "natural".
While it is true that prescriptions and over-the-counter medications do contain chemicals and compounds that may prove to be potentially dangerous to the body, it is essential to understand that the Federal Drug Administration, or "FDA", has approved these treatments. When weighing the consequences to the benefits of the individual that partakes in these treatments, this drug enforcement agency has determined that the benefits are more productive than the consequences that may occur as a direct result of engaging in these treatments. You should know and understand that many herbal medicines have yet to be approved.
If you are considering implementing the use of herbal medicine, it is essential that you allow your doctor to play a role in your decision. While herbal remedies and treatments are "natural", we have all heard the saying "too much of a good thing, can be bad for you". This is especially true when using herb based medicines. There are side effects and consequences that may result from consuming these medications. Basic caution and using these medicines in moderation is considered to be the most appropriate course of action.
- Massage Oils - There are a number of herbal medicines that are marketed as massage oils. These oils often contain aromatherapy benefits that can help to reduce pain and tension in various areas of the body. In addition to this, massage oils play a large role in assisting the body in the area of simple circulation and relaxation. Many different types of essential oils are used to create these types of medicine. If you are prone to allergies, or have a skin condition, it is important to use these items cautiously.
- Supplements - Naturally, many medicines that are herb based are created into capsule supplements. While it is rare to discover pure herbs in this form, supplements can be a very effective means of introducing the body to herbal ingredients, vitamins, and various types of minerals that are essential to good health. The main concern to this type of remedy is that these supplements may not interact well with individuals who take other types of medications, or have allergies.
- Teas - Many herbs are used in the creation of teas in order to benefit the health of an individual. It is not uncommon for individuals who suffer from anxiety to experiment with chamomile and/or catnip tea. It is important to make certain that you understand the precautions associated with the herbs that you elect to use in creating beverages to be consumed prior to actually consuming them.
- Whole & Raw - Many individuals elect to bypass all the technicalities and go directly for whole herbs and consume them raw. While there is the advantage that the body receives the full amount of benefits from these herbs, it is also possible that the body may receive too much.
As you can see, there are a number of herb type medicines that can be used by those who seek natural remedies. However, prior to ingesting herbs in any form and of any type, it is essential to include your doctor in on the decision and to be certain that you know and understand the complications that may result as a direct impact of your decision.
- 1 - Garlic Facts, Remedies, and Health Benefits : Disabled World (2017/12/20)
- 2 - Ginger: Facts - Health Benefits - Growing at Home : Disabled World (2017/12/21)
- 3 - Aloe Vera Beneficial for Teeth and Gums : Academy of General Dentistry (2009/07/18)
- 4 - Aloe Vera: History, Uses and Medicinal Benefits : Disabled World (2018/05/03)
- 5 - Synthetic Conolidine May be as Effective as Morphine for Pain Relief : The Scripps Research Institute (2011/05/23)
- 6 - Modern Medicine and Herbal Remedies Debate : Pascal (2009/04/23)
- 7 - Patients Taking Herbal Remedies and Cardiovascular Medications at Risk : Mayo Clinic (2010/02/02)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.