What is Thalassotherapy
Author: Elizabeth B.
Thalassotherapy is the therapeutic use of seawater commonly used to address skin problems and conditions.
Main DigestThalassotherapy, as a practice, originated in beach municipalities in Brittany, France in the 19th century. Thalassotherapy is the therapeutic use of seawater, and is commonly used to address skin problems and conditions.
The term Thalassotherapy came from the Greek word thalassos which means "sea".
Thalassotherapy, as a practice, originated in beach municipalities in Brittany, France in the 19th century. Thalassotherapy is the therapeutic use of seawater, and is commonly used to address skin problems and conditions.
Seawater contains many healthy nutrients such as magnesium, potassium, sodium and calcium sulphate's. These nutrients can be absorbed directly through our pores.
Thalassotherapy is intended to tone, moisturize and invigorate the skin and body while enhancing circulation.
The benefits of seawater can be enjoyed using a variety of methods such as bathing in warm seawater, applying seawater in the form of a mud or algae paste, or it can be taken through inhalation. Seawater and sea salts are often present in shower gel, bath salts, mud baths, seaweed wraps, and mud packs.
Thalassotherapy has many benefits. Seawater therapy relaxes and heals as it gently cleanses the skin, reduces the appearance of cellulite, boosts the immune system, and improves the quality of sleep.
Thalassotherapy is believed to treat people with circulatory problems such as hypertension and arteriosclerosis; respiratory conditions such as asthma and bronchitis; muscle atrophy and forms of chronic inflammation such as rheumatic arthritis.
If it's your first time to try Thalassotherapy, there are a few things you should expect. If you choose the seaweed wrap, you will be wrapped for 1 hour in seaweed, which is often soaked in herbs prior to your visit. After the wrapping, you will be massaged by the therapist to stimulate circulation.
First, find a spa near you that offers Thalassotherapy. If you are still undecided on which method you prefer, call the spa and ask them more information and for recommendations.
You should seek the advice of health professionals before trying any new treatment. Your Therapist might question you about your health background to ensure the treatment is appropriate and safe.
- 1 - Effects of Cinnamon on Learning and Brain Plasticity : Veterans Affairs Research Communications (2016/07/22)
- 2 - Chromotherapy: Lighting Color Therapy for Health : Disabled World (2010/10/04)
- 3 - Immunotherapy Treatment Options and Information : Epipen (2010/02/01)
- 4 - Naturopathic Medicine Now a Regulated Healthcare Practice in MA, PA and RI : Institute for Natural Medicine (2017/10/08)
- 5 - Grandparents Practicing Outdated Health Remedies Can Pose Safety Threat On Grandchildren : Northwell Health (2017/05/07)
- 6 - Massachusetts Governor Signs Naturopathic Medicine Bill : American Association of Naturopathic Physicians (2017/01/15)
- 7 - Australian Kakadu Plum May Help Treat Alzheimer's Disease : Kakadu Plum Co (2016/09/08)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.