Extreme Hunger Ravaging Kenya, Ethiopia, and Somalia in Africa
Author: Concern Worldwide US
Synopsis and Key Points:
The worlds worst food crisis is devastating large areas of Kenya Ethiopia and Somalia in Africa.
Main DigestThe world's worst food crisis is devastating large areas of Kenya, Ethiopia, and Somalia - 10 million people face extreme hunger.
Concern Worldwide Overseas Director Paul O'Brien warns that Somalia in particular is on the brink of an emergency that could become as bad as the 1991 famine.
"The region's worst drought in 60 years has been exacerbated by extreme spikes in fuel and food prices. A nightmare scenario is unfolding," said O'Brien. "People have no access to water or food. In southern Somalia, an alarming 30 percent of children are malnourished: double the emergency threshold and the highest malnutrition rate in the world."
USAID's Famine Early Warning Systems Network (FEWSNET) currently classifies parts of Kenya as well as central and southern Somalia in "Crisis Phase," one level away from famine.
Throughout East Africa, pastures are scorched, livestock are dying, and families are unable to meet their basic survival needs. "In many of these communities, when animals start dying, people will start dying," O'Brien stresses. Concern Worldwide has been working in East Africa for over 25 years, and is one of very few aid agencies with operations on the ground in Somalia.
Humanitarian operations in the Horn of Africa are less than 50 percent funded. According to the United Nations, localized starvation may be happening in areas lacking access to humanitarian assistance. "Families are walking for weeks to seek help. They are arriving to camps in Kenya and Mogadishu with nothing. By the time they get there, a combination of hunger and despair mean that many simply go to sleep and don't have the energy to wake up," says O'Brien.
Concern has launched an urgent appeal for support. "We are working at maximum capacity to save children's lives and reduce suffering," urged O'Brien. "The innocent victims of this crisis need immediate and coordinated action from the international donor community. East Africa has endured the tragedy of famine before we all bear responsibility if we do not prevent it from happening again."
Concern works in 25 of the world's poorest countries, reaching 9.5 million people directly through emergency response and long-term development programs in health, livelihoods, education, and HIV and AIDS.
- 1 - Namibia: Leave No One Behind (LNOB) Creating Access for All : Deutsche Gesellschaft fuer Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) (2020/04/30)
- 2 - Seriousness of Covid-19 Pandemic in Africa : The Alliance for International Medical Action (ALIMA) (2020/03/19)
- 3 - Humanitarian Crisis in the Sahel : The Alliance for International Medical Action (ALIMA) (2019/11/06)
- 4 - Climate Change Likely to be More Deadly in Poor African Settlements : Johns Hopkins University (2017/11/13)
- 5 - Youth with Disabilities Resolve to Affirm Their Identity : Youth Day Disability Awareness Event (2018/06/20)
- 6 - South Africa: Youth Disability to Attract Focus on Youth Day : Youth Day Disability Awareness Event (2018/06/12)
- 7 - People With Disabilities Abused and Exploited in Somaliland : Amnesty International (2015/10/27)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.