2016 National Veterans Wheelchair Games Open for Registration
Author: U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs : Contact: www.va.gov
Synopsis and Key Points:
2016 National Veterans Wheelchair Games Salt Lake City, UT from June 27 to July 2, registration open until April 15.
National Veterans Wheelchair Games Serves Disabled U.S. Veterans Through Adaptive Sports
The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and Paralyzed Veterans of America (Paralyzed Veterans) have announced that registration for the 2016 National Veterans Wheelchair Games has officially opened and closes April 15, 2016.
"Adaptive sports are an incredibly important component to bringing disabled Veterans back to good health," said National Veterans Wheelchair Games Director Dave Tostenrude. "These Games highlight the best of the best - those who push themselves day in and day out to live healthy, active lives through sports."
Each year, hundreds of disabled Veterans travel from around the country to compete in the Games, the largest annual wheelchair sports event in the world. With them, they bring the fighting spirit and tenacity that define the Veterans of our Armed Forces.
"Finding adaptive sports and participating in the National Veterans Wheelchair Games was without a doubt the turning point in my own rehabilitation after suffering a spinal cord injury," Al Kovach Jr., national president of Paralyzed Veterans. "I personally encourage any veteran out there who is considering participating in these games to just sign up and give it a shot - the experience will change your life."
The National Veterans Wheelchair Games is a sports and rehabilitation event for military service Veterans who use wheelchairs due to spinal cord injuries, amputations or certain neurological problems. Competitive events at the National Veterans Wheelchair Games include:
- air guns
- field events
- a motorized wheelchair rally
- power soccer
- quad rugby
- table tennis
- track, trapshooting
Athletes compete in all events against others with similar athletic ability, competitive experience and age.
This year, the National Veterans Wheelchair Games will be held in Salt Lake City, UT from June 27 - July 2, 2016. Registration is open until April 15. The Games are proudly co-presented by the VA and Paralyzed Veterans, partners in this annual event since 1985.
For more information, please visit wheelchairgames.org
- 1 - Move United: America's Community Based Adaptive Sports Organization : Susan Rossi (2020/05/05)
- 2 - Rabat the Capital of Morocco to Host African Para Games : The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) (2019/04/02)
- 3 - Portable Bocce Courts Could Expand Bocce Playing in Hong Kong : Packaworld (2018/10/15)
- 4 - Goalball UK Trials Revolutionary Portable Goalball Goals : Packaworld (2018/05/07)
- 5 - North Pole to be Made Wheelchair Accessible : Team Independence '09 (2009/03/30)
- 6 - Disability and Gender Equity in Sport : Canadian Heritage (2018/04/25)
- 7 - International Blind Sports Federation Paralympic Qualifier - Fort Wayne, IN - Summer 2019 : Visit Fort Wayne (2018/06/21)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.