A wide range of sports have been adapted to be played by people with various disabilities, as well as several that are unique to disabled athletes. Within each movement, different sports are practiced at different levels; for example, not all sports in the Paralympic movement are part of the Paralympic Games. In addition, many sports are practiced by persons with a disability outside the formal sports movements.
Statistics: U.K. Disability Sports
According to Active People Survey June 2014;
- 72.1% of disabled people take part in no sport or physical activity, compared to 47.8% of non-disabled people.
- 17.8% of disabled people take part in sport for 30 minutes once a week compared to 39.2% of non disabled people.
- Disabled men are more likely to take part in sport than disabled women. 20.1% of disabled men men take part in 30 minutes of sport a week compared to 15.5.% of disabled women.
- Participation among disabled people is significantly lower across all age groups compared to non-disabled people, but the difference is most notable between people aged between 20 to 25 years old.
- People with sensory impairments (hearing and visual impairments) have the lowest level of participation. 12% of people with a visual impairment and 10% of people with a hearing impairment take part in sport for 30 minutes once a week.
Latest Disability Sports Publications
- Paralympic Sports Events: Infographic Explanations
Infographic overview and basic rules of winter and summer paralympic sports categories.
- Cybathlon: Zurich 2016 Disability Sports Event Using Bionic Assistive Technology
Information regarding Cybathlon, a sporting competition for disabled athletes using bionic assistive technology, robotic prostheses, brain-computer interfaces and powered exoskeletons.
- USA Deaf Sports Information
Information regarding Deaf Sporting organizations and events in America including USADSF and the Deaflympics.
- Accessible Adventures and Adaptive Sports In Colorado
Information regarding winter and summer outdoor activities for people with disabilities in Colorado.
- Wheelchair Dancing: Information and Overview of Types of Dance
Information regarding wheelchair dancing a sport that continues to grow in popularity around the world.
Full List of Disability Sports Documents (18 Items)
Loan programs for low income singles, families, seniors & disabled. Includes grants, home ownership, vehicle modifications, personal loans and scholarships.