Easter Seals Canada Wins New Accessible Tourism Award
Author: Tourism Industry Association of Ontario : Contact: www.tiaontario.ca
Tourism Industry Association of Ontario announces Easter Seals Canada winner of Tourism Industry Award of Excellence for Accessible Tourism.
The Tourism Industry Association of Ontario (TIAO) is happy to announce Easter Seals Canada as the winner of the Tourism Industry Award of Excellence for Accessible Tourism. This award is new to the program this year, and celebrates efforts made to make tourism businesses and destinations available to all Ontarians.
Easter Seals Canada is dedicated to fully enhancing the quality of life, self-esteem, and self-determination of Canadians with disabilities. Implementing inclusive and accessible services is the cornerstone of the programs offered by Easter Seals Canada, such as the Access 2 Entertainment and Disability Travel Card programs, which work with the transportation, entertainment and tourism sectors to implement accessible service action plans. Both programs provide a customer service policy for patrons with disabilities, specifically those individuals who require the assistance of a support person.
The Access 2 and Disability Travel Cards are easily recognizable by front-line staff, simplifying the ticketing process for their customers with disabilities. The Access 2 card is valid at over 95 per cent of movie theaters and hundreds of attractions - cultural, tourist, recreational, and entertainment venues - across Canada, and the Disability Travel Card is valid when traveling with Via Rail, Greyhound Bus or Coach Canada. Available data shows that in 2013, the Access 2 card alone recorded over 200,000 individual uses.
Tourism Industry Association of Ontario (CNW Group/Tourism Industry Association of Ontario)
In addition to these two successful programs, Easter Seals Canada is also fully compliant with regulations under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA); in fact, the Access 2 Entertainment and Disability Travel Card programs' customer service policies were based on AODA standards.
TIAO is proud to present Easter Seals Canada with this important new award. Through its proven commitment to accessibility, Easter Seals acts as an inspiration for all tourism businesses, destinations and operators to become more inclusive of visitors from across the province and beyond.
The Tourism Industry Association of Ontario is recognized as the umbrella organization for leading associations, destination marketing organizations and regional tourism organizations serving Ontario's diverse tourism industry. Collectively representing 149,000 businesses and 305,000 employees dedicated to promoting and operating the province's powerful tourism infrastructure, TIAO provides a strong, unified voice for the sector and advocates the importance of tourism to all levels of government in order to help the industry grow and prosper. The Tourism Industry Awards of Excellence recognize leaders in innovation, events, volunteering, sustainability and accessibility within Ontario's vibrant tourism industry.
"Accessible tourism has become a major trend in both Ontario and Canada. One in seven Ontarians has a disability, and that number is expected to rise over the next 20 years. Easter Seals Canada is ahead of the curve in creating services for this market, and TIAO is thrilled to present them with our newest award." - Beth Potter, President & CEO, Tourism Industry Association of Ontario.
- 1 - Paralympian to Lead Malawi Expedition Combating Disability Stigma : Orbis Expeditions (2020/02/22)
- 2 - Accomable Launches U.S. Headquarters in Austin, Texas : Accomable (2016/04/01)
- 3 - Virtual Tours Removes Travel Limitations - Beyond Our Boundaries : Beyond Our Boundaries (2018/03/30)
- 4 - Amtrak Everyday Rail Travel Discounts : Disabled World (2018/09/06)
- 5 - Traveling with Oxygen Travel Tips : Philip Robinson (2009/08/29)
- 6 - Summer Vacation With Seniors or Disabled Means Additional Planning for Caregivers : The CareGiver Partnership (2010/05/26)
- 7 - Advice on Traveling with a Catheter : Aeroflow (2017/07/17)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.