Mapability Creates First Augmented Reality Layer for Accessibility
Author: Mapability Association
Published: 2011-10-11 - (Updated: 2012-09-16)
Mapability helps you find accessible points of interest for wheelchair users by identifying distance and direction on smartphone screens.
Main DigestMapability, in partnership with buildAR, released the first augmented reality layer for urban accessibility in the world. Available on Layar, it helps you easily find accessible points of interest for wheelchair users.
Augmented reality (AR) gives users a tool to locate restaurants, bars, shops and museums, etc. identifying distance and direction right on the smartphone screen.
"A wheelchair user is able to see where the closest accessible restaurant or shop is located", explains Mapability marketing director Riccardo Dondi, "on the screen they see a radar with the direction and distance of more than 50 categories". Moreover, points of interest can be displayed on a map or list view.
The application uses technology from buildAR, an advanced content management system for augmented reality that speeds up the creation process.
"It's great to see how Mapability have used buildAR to create really useful AR content. Displaying accessible points of interest using AR is a great way of matching technology to everyday needs" said Rob Manson, CEO and Co-founder of buildAR.com. "We are happy to partner with Mapability for this wonderful initiative".
Mapability AR will cover all the cities mapped by the association. Right now it is available in Europe, in the cities of Pavia and Cremona, Italy.
In order to find accessible points of interest simply download the free Layar reality browser application on compatible mobile devices and then search for Mapability AR in the available content. Or simple visit this link directly m.layar.com/open/buildar10415/
Who is Mapability: Mapability is a not for profit association that uses technology to promote accessible tourism. Through the use of GPS and Internet technologies the association collects data on urban accessibility that can be used in many different ways, including mobile mapping and navigation systems. www.mapability.org
Who is BuildAR: buildAR is the leading augmented reality content creation system that lets you quickly and easily link your content to the real world. It is the quickest and easiest way to publish your content to the millions of AR enabled mobile devices that are already in use all over the world. All in real time and all with zero development. What will you buildbuildAR.com
- 1 - Unitron Coach App Enables Users to Take Control of Hearing Health : Unitron (2020/02/28)
- 2 - IVH HIT App Provides Coronavirus (CoViD-19) Prevention and Safety Tips : iValueHealth (2020/02/27)
- 3 - Sesame Enable App Turns Android into Touch-Free Smartphone : Sesame Enable (2016/05/19)
- 4 - AccessAble App Takes the Chance Out of Going Out in the UK : AccessAble (2019/02/15)
- 5 - Track My Route School Bus Tracking App Gives Special Needs Parents Peace of Mind : TMR Technology (2019/02/11)
- 6 - VoiceOver Compatible Apps for Apple iPhone and Mac : Disabled World (2011/03/06)
- 7 - iPod and iPad Grants for Education : Wendy Taormina-Weiss (2011/11/08)