MiFinder Social Networking App for Disabled and Diverse Communities
Published 2013/05/27 - (7 years ago). Last updated 2013/06/20 - (7 years ago).
Outline: MiFinder an iPhone App for diverse communities such as the disabled to find each other, make friends, date and gain social support in real time using local area GPS.
Main DigestMiFinder is the world's first iPhone App to allow diverse communities, such as the disabled community to 'find' each other in real time, using GPS. Unlike other social networking Apps it is a British project launched by Brighton based entrepreneur Gabriel Saclain. MiFinder is unique in its approach as it enables users to find like-minded people to make friends with, date and gain social support in their local area and everywhere they go, based on their exact location.
Gabriel devised the app after working with disabled communities and was particularly struck by the challenges they faced. He said: "The social needs of disabled people can be overlooked, they often need physical as well as mental support and they will find MiFinder a useful networking tool. The disabled community can sometimes experience difficulties socializing, as being home bound can limit the opportunity to travel to meet people."
Carrie-Ann Lightley, Head of Tourism for All's Information service, an independent charity supporting tourism and leisure opportunities for disabled people stated "I would highly recommend MiFinder to people with disabilities as it could have a real and invaluable benefit to their lives and their ability to access support, networking and dating. It is an excellent idea and a unique concept for those people who may feel lonely and isolated, so overall a great product"
Users can Instant Message each other, send photos and fix upon an exact location on a map to meet up. Security is paramount and users can instantly block, report and investigate other users, have the option to turn distance off, profile photos and language is screened. A user's exact location is never shown unless they provide it. These controls make it as secure as it can possibly be.
It takes seconds to create a profile and unlike many apps, there is no registration required. Users can see others on a thumbnail screen and Instant Message, send photos and share their exact location on a map to meet up. Security is paramount and users can instantly block, report and investigate other users, turn their distance off, profile photos and language is screened. A user's exact location is never shown unless they provide it. These controls make it as secure as it can possibly be.
MiFinder App Facts:
Mifinder app on iPhoneWhat is MiFinder
- A location based app for disabled and other diverse communities.
What does it do
- Allows users to make new friends, date and get social support in 'real time' from a wide range of ethnic, religious, sexual and disability communities around them.
How does it work
- A user selects the communities they belong to, uploads their photo and profile text
- They then tick the communities they would like to engage with, in any combination
- A thumbnail screen will instantly appear, showing the profiles of the closest 120 users who fit the exact chosen criteria, ordered on the screen according to how far away the user is in meters and miles from them at that very moment
- The user can then instant message, share photos and their exact location (along with car and walking directions) with any user they choose; this GPS works globally.
Who is it for
- People from a wide range of ethnic, religious, sexual and disability communities
- People who may not belong to a diverse community themselves but live in diverse areas and wish to make new friends, date and engage with the different communities around them
How is it unique/newsworthy
- It's the only community oriented app for diverse communities in the world
- The world's only app designed to enhance community engagement and cohesion in a fun and exciting way
- It's the only app that allows community organizations (such as support groups etc.) to have a real time presence on it
- It's a fast growing British project in a USA dominated sector, therefore positively showcases British minority entrepreneurial talent
- The world's only app that also allows disabled people to find like minded others in real time for dating, making new friends and social support
- The world's only app that also caters to globally dispersed communities (e.g. Baha'i, Ismaili, etc.) and those small in number (e.g. Australian Aborigine, Native American etc.)
- The filters allow people from Multiple Identity communities (for example people who may be Jewish and Black or Buddhist and LGBT etc.) to find users to share these unique experiences with
What security and safety measures are there
- There are many strict safety measures including options to instantly block and report users, option to turn distance off, exact location is never shared unless given, all profile photos are checked by humans and profanity filters.
What have others said about MiFinder
- Carrie-Ann Lightley, head of Tourism for All's Information service, an independent charity supporting tourism and leisure opportunities for disabled people stated "I would highly recommend MiFinder to people with disabilities as it could have a real and invaluable benefit to their lives and their ability to access support, networking and dating. It is an excellent idea and a unique concept for those people who may feel lonely and isolated, so overall a great product"
- The venture capital organization Clearly So have stated that MiFinder is an organization which is "in business to create positive change in the world by creating social and/or environmental impact".
- MiFinder has also been featured in The Argus, Ability Magazine, Headstar, Smarter Dating, Same Difference and is an Official Partner on Go-on-gold
Where can I get it
MiFinder aspires to become the ultimate social networking tool for disabled communities across the world. It is available for free at the iPhone App Store or by visiting www.mifinderapp.com
- 1 - Sesame Enable App Turns Android into Touch-Free Smartphone | Sesame Enable (2016/05/19)
- 2 - AccessAble App Takes the Chance Out of Going Out in the UK | AccessAble (2019/02/15)
- 3 - Track My Route School Bus Tracking App Gives Special Needs Parents Peace of Mind | TMR Technology (2019/02/11)
- 4 - VoiceOver Compatible Apps for Apple iPhone and Mac | Disabled World (2011/03/06)
- 5 - iPod and iPad Grants for Education | Wendy Taormina-Weiss (2011/11/08)