Verizon Wireless Mobile Accessibility App for Visually Impaired
Author: Verizon Wireless
Synopsis and Key Points:
Service for Verizon Wireless Android smartphones to help customers who are blind or have low vision perform ordinary wireless tasks in a simple intuitive way.
Main DigestVerizon Wireless Introduces Mobile Accessibility App For Customers Who Are Visually Impaired - Intuitive User Interface Features Touch Screen Navigation, Speech Recognition and Nuance's Vocalizer® Text-to-Speech Technology.
Verizon Wireless announced a suite of services for all Verizon Wireless Android smartphones to help customers who are blind or have low vision to perform ordinary wireless tasks in a simple, intuitive way. Mobile Accessibility is a suite of 10 accessibility apps, from speech recognition to text-to-speech technology, and offers customers who are visually impaired an innovative way to use their smartphones.
The Mobile Accessibility suite, running on the nation's largest 4G LTE network and largest, most reliable 3G network, features intuitive touch screen navigation, speech recognition and voice synthesis powered by Nuance's Vocalizer text-to-speech technology, as well as Braille output. Customers get automatic access to all of the features once the app is downloaded and do not have to launch each app individually from within the suite.
To experience the full functionality of their Android smartphones, customers can use the touch QWERTY keyboard with voice synthesis or the voice recognition technology to perform a variety of tasks, including:
- Phone: Make calls, answer calls, hear the caller ID and manage call log
- Contacts: Manage contacts, even those from social networks
- SMS: Compose and read text messages
- Alarms: Set alarms
- Web: Full Web-browsing experience with the ability to navigate faster to content of choice (links, paragraphs, headings, forms, etc.) and bookmark favorite web-pages
- Calendar: Create, edit and delete a calendar entry
- Email: Compose and send emails
- Where am I: GPS app that gives updates on current location
- Settings: Change ringtone; configure feedback and notifications (vibration or audio); configure keyboard echo, punctuation verbosity, speech pitch and rate, etc.
- Quick access: Locate date and time, phone status information such as battery level and network coverage, number of missed calls and unread messages, etc.
Customers can download Mobile Accessibility in Verizon Apps under Productivity and Tools - Utilities on Android smartphones with operating systems Android 2.2 or higher. There is no charge to download the app, but a Verizon Wireless data plan is required and usage may count towards a customer's data allowance.
For more information about Mobile Accessibility, please visit www.aboutus.verizonwireless.com/accessibility/index.html
About Verizon Wireless - Verizon Wireless operates the nation's largest 4G LTE network and largest, most reliable 3G network. The company serves 94.2 million retail customers, including 88.8 million retail postpaid customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 78,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE, NASDAQ: VZ) and Vodafone (LSE, NASDAQ: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia
- 1: KNFB Reader App: Sight for People with Vision Disability : Thomas C. Weiss (2014/09/22)
- 2: Google Glass App Real Time Closed Captioning : Georgia Institute of Technology (2014/10/11)
- 3: Voiceitt Makes Alexa Accessible for Disabled : Voiceitt (2020/12/05)
- 4: Sensory from Within Autism Discovery App : Spectrum Idea Lab (2015/11/13)
- 5: Autism & Beyond: Autism Facial Expressions App : Office of Naval Research (2015/12/30)
- 6: Android Apps for Teaching Autistic and Learning Disabled Kids : Blooming Kids Software, LLC (2014/12/28)
- 7: Apps for All Accessible and Universal Technology Ideathon : Apps para todos (2016/06/01)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.