- Published: 2012-08-21 - Contact: Neurotechnology
- Synopsis: Free NPointer software works with a webcam and hand or arm gestures for people with disabilities head gestures can be used to scroll click double-click and other navigation functions for Windows programs.
- A provider of high-precision biometric fingerprint, face, iris, palm-print and voice identification algorithms, object recognition technology and software development products. More than 2500 system integrators, security companies and hardware providers integrate Neurotechnology's algorithms into their products, with millions of customer installations worldwide. Drawing from years of academic research in the fields of neuro-informatics, image processing and pattern recognition, Neurotechnology was founded in 1990 in Vilnius, Lithuania and released its first fingerprint identification system in 1991. Since that time the company has released more than 80 products and version upgrades for identification and verification of objects and personal identity.
Neurotechnology has released an entirely new gestural computer navigation product that is now available as freeware . NPointer software works with a simple webcam to enable computer control and navigation without a mouse or trackpad. Hand or arm gestures can be used or, for people with disabilities, head gestures can also be used to scroll, click, double-click and do most other navigation functions for Windows programs.
NPointer Software Works With a Webcam to Enable Gestural Navigation and Control
Neurotechnology, a provider of high-precision biometric identification, object recognition and computer vision technologies, today announced the availability of NPointer, a new tool for computer control and navigation that uses simple hand gestures instead of a mouse or touch pad. The new program, which is available as a free download, requires no special hardware, just a standard webcam and the NPointer software.
- NPointer allows the user to control standard Windows programs by enabling the user to scroll, click, double-click, drag and navigate around the computer screen using hand movements.
- NPointer is based on computer vision technology that turns the webcam into a controller when it is pointed at the hand.
- Easy-to-learn gestural controls map to the natural placement of the hand and fingers palm-down on a desk or hovering just above it, and the visual interface shows semi-transparent "buttons" and controls that temporarily layer over the computer screen.
- NPointer also enables disabled people to use head movements to control the computer.
"Today's release of NPointer is the first step toward gesture recognition that does not require special hardware," said Vaidas Didvalis, NPointer project leader. "We expect this technology will find many new fields of application and, based on user feedback, we will continue to improve it."
NPointer works with any standard, movable webcam and a PC or laptop computer with 1.6 GHz or better processor running Windows XP or newer operating system.
NPointer is the first end-user computer control and navigation product from Neurotechnology, which also offers SentiSight SDK for the development of object recognition, computer vision and robotics applications. The entire line of Neurotechnology SDK products for object recognition and biometric identification are available with highly competitive licensing options through Neurotechnology or from distributors worldwide. For more information, go to: www.Neurotechnology.com
NPointer is available now for free download at: www.neurotechnology.com/npointer.html
- Tobii PCEye - Eye Tracking Control for Computers - The Tobii PCEye eye tracking system allows you to put away the mouse and use your eyes to tell your computer what to do.
- Tongue Drive Wireless Device Operates Computers and Wheelchairs - Tongue Drive wireless device enables people with high level spinal cord injuries to operate a computer and maneuver an electrically powered wheelchair by moving their tongue.
- Camera Mouse - Control Your Mouse Pointer with Head Movements - Camera Mouse is a free program that allows you to control the mouse pointer on a Windows computer just by moving your head.
- Using Mind Power to Control a Computer - Manipulating complex visual images on a computer screen using only mind power of the brain.
- Brain Power - Thought Controlled Computer Mouse - Application allows user to navigate computer click and open programs send email with the power of their brain.