Paint Shield Microbicidal Paint Kills Bacteria
Author: Sherwin-Williams : Contact: sherwin-williams.com
Published: 2015-10-30 : (Rev. 2016-06-11)
Sherwin-Williams Paint Shield microbicidal paint continuously kills difficult-to-treat, infection-causing bacteria after two hours of exposure on painted surfaces.
Paint Shield becomes first EPA-registered paint that kills greater than 99.9 percent of Staph (Staphylococcus aureus), MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus), E. coli (Escherichia coli), VRE (Vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecalis), and Enterobacter aerogenes after two hours of exposure on a painted surface
Sherwin-Williams today announced the launch of Paint Shield, the first EPA-registered microbicidal paint that continuously kills these difficult-to-treat, infection-causing bacteria after two hours of exposure on painted surfaces.
By killing these infectious bacteria on painted surfaces, Paint Shield offers customers an important new tool to help prevent the spread of bacteria that can cause hospital-acquired infections (HAIs).
Surfaces painted with Paint Shield kill greater than 99.9 percent of Staph (Staphylococcus aureus), MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus), E. coli (Escherichia coli), VRE (Vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecalis) and Enterobacter aerogenes after two hours of exposure.
"Paint Shield is one of the most significant technological breakthroughs in our nearly 150 year history of innovation," said Chris Connor, chairman and chief executive, Sherwin-Williams. "By killing infectious pathogens on painted surfaces, Paint Shield is a game-changing advancement in coatings technology."
Sherwin-Williams Microbicidal Paint Shield Can - Image Provided Courtesy of The Sherwin-Williams Company
Paint Shield doesn't just inhibit the growth of common microbes, it actually has the power to kill infectious bacteria, including Staph (Staphylococcus aureus), MRSA, and E. coli, thereby giving healthcare systems and other facilities an important new tool to help prevent the spread of some of the most common bacteria that trigger hospital-acquired infections.
EPA-test protocol showed that once it is applied, the effectiveness of Paint Shield lasts for up to four years, as long as the integrity of the surface is maintained.
According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, healthcare-associated infections are one of the leading causes of preventable deaths in the United States. Further, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) notes that approximately one in 25 U.S. patients contract at least one infection during the course of their hospital care.
"Continued progress in combating HAIs will require a broad array of measures, including passive methods that are less dependent on human intervention," said Steve Revnew, senior vice president of Product Innovation, Sherwin-Williams. "By continuing to kill MRSA and other bacteria, even after repeated contamination, Paint Shield offers hospitals and other facilities an important new tool to help in the fight against the spread of HAIs."
The exclusive patented technology in Paint Shield represents the culmination of extensive research and collaboration between Sherwin-Williams coatings scientists and expert microbiologists.
Paint Shield can be applied on interior hard, non-porous ceilings, walls, doors and trim. It is ideal for a variety of settings such as healthcare facilities, athletic facilities, schools, day care centers, senior care communities, residential housing, hospitality settings and cruise ships.
Featuring quality coating performance, great hide and durability, Paint Shield will be available in 590 colors and will come in the popular eg-shel finish. Sherwin-Williams expects Paint Shield to be available in Sherwin-Williams stores in the United States starting in the first quarter of 2016.
For nearly 150 years, Sherwin-Williams has been an industry leader in the development of technologically advanced paint and coatings. As the nation's largest specialty retailer of paint and painting supplies, Sherwin-Williams is dedicated to supporting both do-it-yourself-ers and painting professionals with exceptional and exclusive products, resources to make confident color selections and expert, personalized service at its more than 4,000 neighborhood stores across North America. Sherwin-Williams has been ranked "Highest in Customer Satisfaction among Paint Retailers, Three Years in a Row" in the J.D. Power 2015 Paint Satisfaction StudySM.
- For more information, visit sherwin-williams.com
- Join Sherwin-Williams on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram and Tumblr.
- 1 - Inventions Needed to Make Everyday Life Easier : Disabled World (2019/03/27)
- 2 - Traveling Barbers In-Home Hair Care Services for The Disabled : The Traveling Barbers - Hair Professionals for The Disabled (2019/09/06)
- 3 - Online Suppliers of Disability Products and Assistive Devices : Disabled World Live (2010/02/01)
- 4 - SturdyStraw: Hands Free Bendable Drinking Aids for People with Limited Movement : SturdyStraw Ltd (2018/08/16)
- 5 - Obi Robotic Dining Device - Breakthrough for People with Physical Challenges : meetobi.com (2016/07/12)
- 6 - The Zack Rack Accessibile Storage Solution : Freedom Shelf Innovations, Inc. (2017/11/10)
- 7 - Eazyhold Grip Aid for People with Hand Function Problems : EazyHold (2017/11/11)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.