Disability Assistive Products: Home Devices and Aids for Disabled
Disabled World (disabled-world.com)
Revised/Updated: Saturday, 9th February 2019
Synopsis and Key Points:
Handy and useful household products and aids for people with disabilities and the disabled to use around the home.
Types of Household Assistive Devices
Assistive Technology Products
Designed to provide additional accessibility to individuals who have physical or cognitive difficulties, impairments, and disabilities.
Assistive technology promotes greater independence by enabling people to perform tasks that they were formerly unable to accomplish, or had great difficulty accomplishing, by providing enhancements to, or changing methods of interacting with, the technology needed to accomplish such tasks.
There are so many instances where, through minor modifications, you can make a mainstream product accessible. Nevertheless, there are also situations where your only option is assistive technology.
The term adaptive technology is often used as the synonym for assistive technology; however, they are different terms.
Assistive technology refers to "any item, piece of equipment, or product system, whether acquired commercially, modified, or customized, that is used to increase, maintain, or improve functional capabilities of individuals with disabilities", while adaptive technology covers items that are specifically designed for persons with disabilities and would seldom be used by non-disabled persons.
Many types of home devices help people with disabilities perform everyday household tasks such as cooking, dressing, and grooming.
Kitchen implements are available with large, cushioned grips to help people with weakness or arthritis in their hands.
Medication dispensers with alarms can help people remember to take their medicine on time. People who use wheelchairs for mobility can use extendable reaching devices to reach items on shelves.
The form of home automation called assistive domotics focuses on making it possible for elderly and disabled people to live independently.
Home automation is becoming a viable option for the elderly and disabled who would prefer to stay in their own homes rather than move to a healthcare facility.
This field uses much of the same technology and equipment as home automation for security, entertainment, and energy conservation but tailors it towards elderly and disabled users.
The featured disability products and helpful articles below will assist independent living for disabled persons, the elderly and people with medical conditions and/or injuries.
There are some really great and clever inventions that can make your life so much easier.
From simple gadgets like key turners and writing aids to outdoor tools to make gardening and yard maintenance a breeze, you'll be amazed at some of the nifty home aids and products that exist today.
Subtopics and Associated Subjects
- 1 - Traveling Barbers In-Home Hair Care Services for The Disabled : The Traveling Barbers - Hair Professionals for The Disabled (2019/09/06)
- 2 - Inventions Needed to Make Everyday Life Easier : Disabled World (2019/03/27)
- 3 - SturdyStraw: Hands Free Bendable Drinking Aids for People with Limited Movement : SturdyStraw Ltd (2018/08/16)
- 4 - Eazyhold Grip Aid for People with Hand Function Problems : EazyHold (2017/11/11)
- 5 - The Zack Rack Accessibile Storage Solution : Freedom Shelf Innovations, Inc. (2017/11/10)
- 6 - Cyprium Copper Infused Luxury Towels that Destroy Bacteria : Cyprium Textiles (2017/07/10)
- 7 - Obi Robotic Dining Device - Breakthrough for People with Physical Challenges : meetobi.com (2016/07/12)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.