Disabled Searching for Partners Through Online Dating Sites
- Publish Date: 2009/02/12 - (Rev. 2016/09/23)
- Author: Disabled World
Outline: For people with disabilities dating is even harder than it is for those with limited time in their schedule.
People go about initiating relationships in different ways for many different reasons.
When men and women have limited time for the dating scene, they often go online to prospect for a relationship with a member of the opposite sex.
Online dating sites allow members to get to know each other by letting them screen potential dates for the things they have in common, such as a disability, or characteristics they want in a partner.
For people with disabilities, dating is even harder than it is for those with limited time in their schedule. Not only is it more difficult to get around for some, but there's also the risk of rejection that many disabled people fear when asking someone out on a date in person.
Online disabled dating sites are now catering to those with special needs, and some even go farther than broad conditions - they specifically target members with the exact same disease in common, such as Autism, diabetes, muscular dystrophy, and multiple sclerosis etc.
Some relationships start off from online disability communities not geared to dating, but with multiple options, such as friendship, support, and advice. Other sites make their intentions known - that the website helps put disabled people in touch with others also afflicted with special conditions so that they have one major issue out in the open.
Sometimes, there's a stigma against disabled people from other disabled people. They feel they want to partner with someone not suffering from the same ailment. Other times it makes it easier for the relationship to progress because the date is someone who knows what life is like for the other person.
Disabled men and women want to be included in the fun and excitement of dating, too, without fear of discrimination from others in the online dating pool. The problem with a disabled person joining a website devoted exclusively to disabled dating is that the membership can be small.
If this is the case, you can join multiple sites and broaden your horizons. You never know what man or woman will read your profile, love everything about you, and be willing to overlook any disabilities that you fear someone will balk at.
Online dating is intimidating for almost everyone. Even beautiful, healthy people have butterflies in their stomachs as their profile goes live and they wait while others review and critique them for the possibility of a future date. Go into the situation with confidence in who you are, and your disability will blend into the background as your personality is allowed to shine.
- 1 - Disability Sexuality: Dating and Chat | Disabled World | 2010/06/17
- 2 - Dating Sites for the Blind | Disabled World | 2009/02/18
- 3 - Senior Friendfinder: Local Online Dating for Seniors | Disabled World | 2009/02/13
- 4 - Disability Website LoveByrd Dating Site for Disabled Closed | Disabled World | 2010/08/22
- 5 - Releasing Emotion Through Visualization | Dr Edward Steiner | 2009/02/16
- 6 - Living Apart Together - Intimate Relationship Without Shared Residence | University of Missouri-Columbia | 2017/02/09
- 7 - Morris Pinsky Simcha Program Helps Match-Up People with Disabilities | Life; Fully Engaged | 2017/01/12
- 8 - Disabled Searching for Partners Through Online Dating Sites | Disabled World | 2009/02/12
Help Spread Disability AwarenessConnect with Us on Social Media