Disability Accessibility a Priority for UK Digital Services
Synopsis and Key Points:
Access and Inclusion digital services for people with a disability a priority in report released by Ofcom.
Main DigestDigital services for people with a disability are a priority in a new report, Access and Inclusion: Digital communications for all, released by Ofcom, the UK communications regulator.
The report considers disability and other priority issues across a variety of digital media and communications including television, radio, computing, the Internet, mobile and emergency services. It also discusses disability issues in customer services that support these communications services.
The report finds that people with disabilities are higher than average users of television and radio but lag in the take-up of broadband and mobile services. The report points to the availability and affordability of suitable equipment and services for broadband and mobile devices as a contributing factor in low take-up.
In the report, Ofcom points to a number of areas where it is making progress in accessibility of digital services:
Television access services, including closed captioning, audio description and signing on television;
Text relay services;
Usability and affordability of equipment;
Video On Demand;
Broadband access; and
Ofcom also reminds interested parties that the current consultation on Television Access Services is open until 12 November 2009 and the consultation on Video On Demand services is open until 26 October 2009. More information on Access and Inclusion: Digital communications for all and the full report are available at the Ofcom website.
- 1 - The Story of the Accessible Icon Emoji: iOS 10 Update : Leah Serao (2016/08/16)
- 2 - Color Contrasting for Accessibility : Robin (2009/02/15)
- 3 - USICD Releases New White Paper on CRPD Monitoring : United States International Council on Disabilities (USICD) (2018/06/20)
- 4 - Update to Building Accessibility Standard Provides Greater Accessibility for Persons with Physical Disabilities : International Code Council (2017/06/29)
- 5 - Disability Pictures Clipart, Printables, Wallpaper, Signs and Symbols : Disabled World (2011/07/05)
- 6 - IBM Names Chief Accessibility Officer - Personalization and Mobile Technologies to Re-define Accessibility : IBM Accessibility (2014/07/28)
- 7 - Improving Gas Station Accessibility for People with Disabilities : United Spinal Association (2014/04/26)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.