Parkinson's Awareness Week - Australian Disability News
Author: Department of aging, Disability and Home Care
Synopsis and Key Points:
Parkinsons Awareness Week aims to raise awareness of the disease and money for research to help those living with parkinsons their partners carers and families.
Main DigestMinister for Disability Services, Peter Primrose has urged members of the public and community groups to support Parkinson's Awareness Week 2010, which launches today.
Parkinson's Awareness Week aims to raise awareness of Parkinson's disease and money for research to help those living with Parkinson's, their partners, carers and families.
Mr Primrose said many events will be held across the country this week as part of the celebrations.
As part of Parkinson's Awareness Week each state's Parkinson's organization is hosting a Unity Walk. New South Wales hosted a Unity Walk yesterday starting at Sydney Olympic Park, Homebush.
The Parkinson's Unity Walk began 19 years ago in New York's Central Park.
"The Unity walk allows families to get together and make a real difference in the lives of people living with Parkinson's by helping to raise money and awareness," Mr Primrose said.
There are estimated to be some 80,000 Australians living with Parkinson's disease. A diagnosis can occur at any age with the most common age of diagnosis being between 50-60 years of age.
There is no cure for Parkinson's disease, but there are effective treatments and therapy options that can help manage symptoms.
"I encourage people to support Parkinson's Awareness Week so people with Parkinson's disease can continue to enjoy many years of living independently," Mr Primrose said.
For more information about Parkinson's Awareness Week activities within NSW and how to support Parkinson's research and fundraising initiatives visit www.parkinsonsnsw.org.au
For more information about the Parkinson's Unity Walk visit www.unitywalk.com.au
- 1 - COVID-19 Awareness Ribbons : Coronavirus Ribbon Designs : Disabled World (2020/04/08)
- 2 - Sunflower Lanyard Program for Hidden Disability Awareness : Disabled World (2019/11/09)
- 3 - Heart Failure Awareness Week : AAHFN (2016/02/15)
- 4 - NCD International Day of Persons with Disabilities Statement : National Council on Disability (2014/12/03)
- 5 - Awareness Ribbons Chart: Color and Meaning of Awareness Ribbon Causes : Disabled World (2015/03/09)
- 6 - Reducing Stigma of Facial Paralysis : Oregon State University (2015/01/21)
- 7 - Awareness Dates: Days : Weeks : Months : Disabled World (2011/04/30)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.