Best Disability Friendly U.S. Colleges and Universities
Synopsis: The list takes into account factors to ensure students looking for schools with exceptional support for students of all abilities get the best rate of return on their educational investment.1
Author: College Choice2 Contact: CollegeChoice.net
Published: 2016-05-26 Updated: 2020-04-01
The vast majority of universities in the united states simply meet the minimum accessibility standards set by the government.
We highlight the universities and colleges that devote an abundant amount of resources to ensure that students of all abilities have equal access to a high-quality education.
College Choice has published its annual ranking of best disability friendly colleges and universities. Coby Cagle, Associate Editor of the ranking says;
"The vast majority of universities in the united states simply meet the minimum accessibility standards set by the government. The schools on this list, however, are some of the best in the country at committing resources and funding to equip their students with the tools they need thrive."
The College Choice 2016 Ranking of the Best Disability Friendly Colleges and Universities takes into account several key factors to ensure students looking for schools with exceptional support for students of all abilities will get the best rate of return on their educational investment. We began with a list of schools that far exceed the minimum legal requirements for accessibility. That list was then evaluated and ranked based on factors like academic reputation, student satisfaction, affordability, average financial aid award, and average salary of recent graduates.
"With this ranking we highlight the universities and colleges that devote an abundant amount of resources to ensure that students of all abilities have equal access to a high-quality education," said Christian Amondson, Managing Editor of College Choice.
University of Michigan tops the list, followed by University of Southern California and Northeastern University.
Other Ranked Schools
- Abilene Christian University, Abilene, TX
- Adelphi University, Garden City, NY
- Alfred University, Alfred, NY
- Augsburg College, Minneapolis, MN
- Baylor University, Waco, TX
- California State University, Fullerton, CA
- Centenary College, Hackettstown, NJ
- College of Charleston, Charleston, SC
- Curry College, Milton, MA
- Davis & Elkins College, Elkins, WV
- Dean College, Franklin, MA
- DePaul University, Chicago, IL
- Dowling College, Oakdale, NY
- Edinboro University of Pennsylvania, Edinboro, PA
- Fairleigh Dickinson University - Metropolitan, Teaneck, NJ
- Hofstra University, Hempstead, NY
- Iona College, New Rochelle, NY
- Loras College, Dubuque, IA
- Manhattanville College, Purchase, NY
- Marist College, Poughkeepsie, NY
- Marshall University, Huntington, WV
- Marymount Manhattan College, New York, NY
- McDaniel College, Westminster, MD
- Mercyhurst University, Erie, PA
- Messiah College, Mechanicsburg, PA
- Missouri State University, Springfield, MO
- Nicholls State University, Thibodaux, LA
- Roosevelt University, Chicago, IL
- Schreiner University, Kerrville, TX
- Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, IL
- Southern Oregon University, Ashland, OR
- St. Ambrose University, Davenport, IA
- SUNY Cortland, Cortland, NY
- Texas State University, San Marcos, TX
- Texas Tech University, Lubbock, TX
- University of Akron, Akron, OH
- University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ
- University of Connecticut, Mansfield, CT
- University of Denver, Denver, CO
- University of Indianapolis, Indianapolis, IN
- University of Tennessee, Chattanooga, TN
- University of Texas, Austin, TX
- University of the Ozarks, Clarksville, AR
- University of Wisconsin, Whitewater, WI
- Ursuline College, Pepper Pike, OH
- West Virginia Wesleyan College, Buckhannon, WV
- Xavier University, Cincinnati, OH
College Choice is a leading authority in college and university rankings and resources dedicated to helping students and their families find the right college. The site publishes rankings and reviews that make finding the best colleges for different interests easier and more fun, as well as resources to help students get into, pay for, and thrive at the college of their choice.
2Source/Reference: College Choice. Disabled World makes no warranties or representations in connection therewith. Content may have been edited for style, clarity or length.
- 1: Free Digital Accessibility Courses for People with Disabilities : Deque Systems, Inc. (2016/05/19)
- 2: Best Disability Friendly U.S. Colleges and Universities : College Choice (2016/05/26)
- 3: List of Best Female Colleges in the United States : College Choice (2016/05/10)
- 4: Atlanta School for Autism - Cumberland Academy of Georgia : Cumberland Academy of Georgia (2015/01/03)
- 5: Ensuring Academic Success for English Language Learners in Higher Education Through Use of Technology : Dr. Jessica Bogunovich (2017/02/18)
- 6: College Psychology Classes Lack Curriculum About Disabilities : Oregon State University (2016/02/24)
- 7: Integrating Social Media in the Humanities Online Classroom : Stacey Atiyeh (2017/02/17)
Disclaimer: Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.
Disclosure: Disabled World is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. View our Advertising Policy for further information.
Journal: Disabled World. Language: English (U.S.). Author: College Choice. Electronic Publication Date: 2016-05-26. Last Revised Date: 2020-04-01. Reference Title: Best Disability Friendly U.S. Colleges and Universities, Source: <a href=https://www.disabled-world.com/disability/education/postsecondary/ranking.php>Best Disability Friendly U.S. Colleges and Universities</a>. Abstract: The list takes into account factors to ensure students looking for schools with exceptional support for students of all abilities get the best rate of return on their educational investment. Retrieved 2021-02-26, from https://www.disabled-world.com/disability/education/postsecondary/ranking.php - Reference Category Number: DW#488-12196.