Textbook Savings for Canadian Students With Disabilities
Author: Ann Schwab
Published: 2009-09-13 : (Rev. 2010-07-04)
Synopsis and Key Points:
Canadian students with disabilities at university or college can save substantially when they buy and sell used textbooks online.
Main DigestCanadian students with disabilities at university or college can save substantially when they buy and sell used textbooks online, make friends, and exchange tips about their courses.
But don't stop there. The government grants and bursaries available to university students with permanent disabilities offer financial support to cover some of the cost of tuition, living expenses, travel, study supplies and other class materials.
Tips and resources for college students with disabilities
Financial assistance help students with disabilities upgrade their skills and succeed in the classroom.
There are several sources of funding for students with permanent disabilities. Check out the list below for ideas:
Canada Access Grant for Students with Permanent Disabilities: Awarded to high-need students and covers the cost of educational and living expenses. The CAGSPD exceeds the amount covered by the Canadian Student Loans Programs.
Canadian Study Grant for the Accommodation of Students with Permanent Disabilities: Awarded to full and part-time university students to help cover extra expenses acquired by their disability, like tutors, interpreters, attendant care, or special supervisors.
Canadian Pension Plan Disability Vocational Rehabilitation Program: Designed to help those who already receive a disability benefit to acquire new skills and return to work.
Canadian Student Loans Program: The permanent disability benefit forgives student loans for those experiencing repayment difficulty due to disabilities.
Literature for the Blind: The Canada Post Corporation offers postage free delivery for visually impaired university students
Opportunities Fund for Persons with Disabilities: Helps individuals with permanent disabilities gain meaningful employment. The program helps individuals start their own business and increase their job skills.
Today, there are many on-campus resources to help students with disabilities succeed during their years at university.
Visit the Access and Diversity center on your campus to find out how trained staff members can help students with disabilities access the grant programs available to them. They can also arrange extra exam time for students and access subsidized note-takers, tutors, and attendants.
locazu is the online used textbooks classifieds created by students for students. Buy and sell university textbooks locally on locazU! You list. You save. Direct. Easy. Free to use - www.locazu.com
- 1: Educating Students on Credit Card and Financial Responsibility : Inderscience Publishers (2015/09/26)
- 2: Student Loan Repayment Calculator : Disabled World (2011/10/27)
- 3: American Schools Are Making Inequality Worse : American Educational Research Association (2015/10/08)
- 4: Using Uncertainty Reduction Theory to Help Students Deal with Stress and Anxiety and Improve Their Overall Classroom Performance : Kristin Basinger, Tracy Crawford, Lauren Critchley, and Jennifer Romano, Full Time Faculty, University of Phoenix (2020/08/06)
- 5: Online Education for Students With Disabilities : Online Schools Center (2016/06/16)
- 6: Public Virtual Schools Guidance on Education of Children with Disabilities : U.S. Education Department (2016/08/12)
- 7: Examining Feelings of Inclusion Among Students with Disabilities : New York University (NYU) (2017/10/27)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.