AARP Foundation Overview
Author: Alice Webber
Published: 2010-02-02 : (Rev. 2010-11-18)
Synopsis and Key Points:
The AARP Foundation is a non-profit organization and the affiliated charity of AARP.
Main DigestThe AARP Foundation, a non-profit organization, is the affiliated charity of AARP helping the most vulnerable elderly in society.
AARP Foundation programs and services help the most vulnerable elderly in society. The Foundation raises money to support these programs through government grants and from individuals, corporations, foundations, and AARP.
The AARP Foundation programs and legal advocacy efforts address issues that affect people age 50 and over on a daily basis. In addition to direct service and programs, the AARP Foundation offers numerous volunteer and charitable giving opportunities.
The two largest programs are the senior community service employment program (SCSEP) with the Department of Labor, which provides temporary subsidized employment for persons 55 and older whose incomes are at or below 125% of federal poverty levels, and the partially IRS funded tax counseling for the elderly (Tax-Aide), which supplies volunteer assistance for federal income tax preparation to low and moderate income older individuals with special attention to filers who are 60 and over.
Among the programs the Foundation administers are, Tax-Aide, SCSEP and Money Management Program. The Foundation's litigation staff protects the legal rights of older Americans in critical health, long-term care, and consumer and employment situations including age and disability discrimination in employment, health and long-term care, pensions, and financial fraud including predatory lending.
AARP SCSEP - Helps low income job seekers, age 55 and older, gain the skills and paid work experience necessary to transition to permanent, unsubsidized employment, while providing millions of hours of community service annually through local nonprofit agencies.
AARP Tax-Aide - Volunteers annually provide free tax assistance and preparation service to low and moderate-income taxpayers, with special attention to those age 60 and older. The program provides electronic filing and on-line tax assistance.
AARP Money Management Program - Offers money management services to help older or disabled people who have difficulty budgeting, paying bills and keeping track of financial matters.
AARP Benefits Outreach - Offers assistance to people over age 55 with low or moderate incomes in determining eligibility for public and private benefit programs that help pay for prescription drugs, doctor's bills, property taxes, groceries, heating bills, and more.
The AARP Foundation shares a common vision with AARP: A society in which everyone ages with dignity and purpose and in which the AARP Foundation helps people fulfill their goals and dreams.
Additional programs provide information, education and services to ensure that people over 50 lead lives with independence, dignity and purpose - AARP Foundation - www.aarp.org/about_aarp/aarp_foundation/
- 1: Soap, Cleaning the World and Saving Lives : Disabled World (2014/10/02)
- 2: MercyCorps Organization Overview : Thomas C. Weiss (2015/10/19)
- 3: The LD Resources Foundation : Thomas C. Weiss (2013/03/04)
- 4: Initiative by Afford Promises All Australians Access to Disability Supports in Response to COVID-19 : The Australian Foundation for Disability (Afford) (2020/04/17)
- 5: List of Disability Organizations : Disabled World (2011/04/19)
- 6: The Amity Foundation: Assistance for Drug or Alcohol Abuse : Thomas C. Weiss (2015/07/21)
- 7: Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation : Sally Hayes (2009/02/19)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.