Safeway's Housing Support for People with Disabilities
Author: Rebuilding Together
Published: 2011-04-11 : (Rev. 2013-06-15)
Synopsis and Key Points:
Rebuilding Together has partnered with Safeway to make homes and community centers more accessible.
Main DigestSafeway and Rebuilding Together Plan 10 Rebuilds Across the U.S. for Safeway's Support for People with Disabilities Campaign.
Rebuilding Together, the nation's leading nonprofit working to preserve affordable homeownership, and Safeway Inc. will rehabilitate homes and community centers in ten cities during the month of April. Safeway partnered with Rebuilding Together as part of Safeway's annual Disabilities Campaign, a fundraiser and awareness campaign that supports organizations that provide important services and outreach to people with disabilities.
Rebuilding Together is an expert in home modifications for people with disabilities.
Modifications typically include wheelchair ramps, widened doorways for wheelchair access, grab bars, and new handrails.
This is the second year that Rebuilding Together has partnered with Safeway to make homes and community centers more accessible. Rebuilding Together affiliates receive funding from The Safeway Foundation for these projects and Safeway employees give hundreds of volunteer hours to complete the work. This year's projects are in Denver, CO; Chicago, IL; Silver Spring, MD; Sacramento, CA; Phoenix, AZ; Portland, OR; Seattle, WA; Dallas, TX; San Diego, CA; and Berkeley, CA.
"We've been incredibly pleased with the relationship that Rebuilding Together and Safeway have developed," said Gary A. Officer, President and CEO of Rebuilding Together. "This spring we will continue to synergize our efforts to assist persons with disabilities who face incredible hardship in our communities - an issue that is reflective of both our organizations' missions."
Larree Renda, Executive Vice President of Safeway Inc. and Chair of The Safeway Foundation praised Rebuilding Together's commitment to helping people with disabilities live more independent lives.
"We applaud Rebuilding Together's mission of giving people with disabilities full access and mobility inside and outside of their homes," said Larree Renda. "The organization is a perfect fit for Safeway and The Safeway Foundation because one of our core areas of our key pillars of giving is supporting people with disabilities."
To learn more about Rebuilding Together and its work, visit www.rebuildingtogether.org
ABOUT REBUILDING TOGETHER - Rebuilding Together is the nation's leading nonprofit organization working to preserve affordable homeownership and revitalize neighborhoods by providing extensive rehabilitation and modification services to those in need at no cost to those served. With the help of everyday citizen volunteers, skilled trades people, the support of local business and major corporate partners, Rebuilding Together affiliates in America's largest cities and smallest towns make life considerably better for thousands of low-income homeowners and the communities in which they live by completing 10,000 projects per year. Rebuilding Together has programs dedicated to, energy efficiency, veteran's housing, aging in place and Gulf Coast reconstruction.
ABOUT SAFEWAY www.safeway.com - Safeway Inc. is a Fortune 100 company and one of the largest food and drug retailers in North America, based on sales. The company operates 1,694 stores in the United States and western Canada and had annual sales of $41.1 billion in 2010. The company's common stock is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol SWY.
- 1 - Searching for a Needle in Loch Ness : Fleur Perry (2015/06/02)
- 2 - DOJ Settlement with Bank of America to Resolve Claims of Disability Discrimination and Compensate Victims : U.S. Department of Justice Office of Public Affairs (2020/07/31)
- 3 - Study of Tiny House Villages - Benefits and Challenges : Kansas State University (2016/10/06)
- 4 - DOJ Files Complaint Against City of LA and CRA/LA Alleging They Fraudulently Obtained Millions in Housing Grants for Disabled : USDOJ Office of Public Affairs (SMO) (2017/08/01)
- 5 - VA Home Loan Versus CFHA Loans : Thomas C. Weiss (2013/05/01)
- 6 - Home Purchase or Rent: Pros and Cons Comparison : Thomas C. Weiss (2013/01/12)
- 7 - Guide to Home Buying for People with Disabilities : Total Mortgage Services, LLC (2012/08/15)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.