Disability Rights and Wrongs by Tom Shakespeare
Author: Tom Shakespeare
Synopsis and Key Points:
Advances our thinking about the fundamental issues in Disability Studies.
Main DigestTom Shakespeare has produced a work of mature scholarship that advances our thinking about the fundamental issues in Disability Studies. The clarity and balance of his argument challenges others to raise the level of discourse in the field. Disability Rights and Wrongs is a must read.
"Tom Shakespeare has produced a work of mature scholarship that advances our thinking about the fundamental issues in Disability Studies. The clarity and balance of his argument challenges others to raise the level of discourse in the field. Disability Rights and Wrongs is a must read." - Gary L. Albrecht, University of Illinois at Chicago, USA
In his characteristically polemical and thought-provoking style, Tom Shakespeare presents a call to arms against the British social model of disability. Love it or loathe it, there is much in this book to stimulate debate in disability studies and the wider social science community. The reader is taken into familiar territory as well as into areas little explored in disability studies to date. Challenges are thrown up at every turn. Do Shakespeare's arguments hold up? You be the judge." - Carol Thomas, Institute for Health Research, Lancaster University, UK
Galileo was roundly condemned for daring to question the orthodoxy of the day, even though he was right. Tom Shakespeare also challenges orthodoxy concerning disability theory and studies. No cow is sacred and as a result this book will be controversial. But his arguments demand consideration and deep thought. If you read only one book on disability rights this year, make this the book." - Bert Massie, Disability Rights Commission, UK
Paperback: 240 pages
Publisher: Routledge; 1 edition (October 16, 2006)
- 1 - Creation, Evolution, and the Handicapped: Crushing the Death Image : Pastor Richard Luther Corwin (2016/06/23)
- 2 - Missing Frames: Memoir of a Woman Living with Hidden Disabilities : Scooter (2016/07/01)
- 3 - Writings On the Wall: Disability Advocate's Uplifting Book of Poetry : Robert M. Hensel (2016/08/14)
- 4 - Wheelchair Exercising Book: Zero Assistance Resistance Training by Dan Highcock : Dan Highcock (2016/10/03)
- 5 - Single Handed : A Book by Hanoch Budin : Hanoch Budin (2016/10/27)
- 6 - Spinning in Circles and Learning From Myself by Tsara Shelton : Tsara Shelton (2018/05/16)
- 7 - Book : Walk in My Shoes : DeafBlind Writers Tell All : Ramona Rice (2017/01/03)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.