Films Involving or Featuring Disabilities
Published : 2009-05-12 - Updated : 2019-03-30
Author : Thomas C. Weiss - Contact: Disabled World
Synopsis* : Films Involving Disabilities presents listings of feature films and documentaries which involve persons with disabilities.
The Films Involving Disabilities website presents detailed listings of over three-thousand feature films and documentaries which involve persons with disabilities.
The films the site lists are separated into two different categories - major films and minor films. The films are often reviewed, or include a summary as well as links to further information.
The site is directed towards teachers, students and anyone who has an interest in how disability is represented in films. The Films Involving Disabilities site has a number of categories of disability-related areas it focuses on, to include:
- Limb & Spinal
- Mental Disability
- Learning Difficulty/Retardation
The Films Involving Disabilities site also presents books and articles related to persons with disabilities, film, television, and the media. There are many different and worthwhile book titles shown on the site; a few examples include:
- Disability Drama in Television and Film. Lauri E. Klobas
- Media Madness: Public Images of Mental Illness. Otto F. Wahl
- Images of the disabled, disabling images. A & Joe Gartner (Eds.)
- The Cinema of Isolation: A history of physical disability in the movies. Martin F. Norden
- Hollywood Speaks: Deafness and the Film Entertainment Industry. John S. Schuchman
- Extraordinary Bodies: Figuring physical disability in American culture & literature: Rosemarie Garland Thomson
Two of the many examples of articles available on the Films Involving Disabilities website include:
- Short articles called "I Hate Tiny Tim"
- Multiple Personality Disorder: Witchcraft Survives in the Twentieth Century
- August Piper Jr.
The creator of the Films Involving Disabilities website, David Greenhalgh, experienced a disability himself in his mid-forties, being diagnosed with Cervical Spondylosis. After becoming disabled he decided to create a database of disability resources involving his hobby related to films and books. David designed Films Involving Disabilities in 1994 and the site remains unique in its scope of presentation today. In relation to his website David stated, "There are hundreds of disability-related sites offering general information, but I think the more specialized ones are the most useful."
David was a teacher for many years and continues to educate others. While he is not published, he has written several items; to include a novel about a rabbit, a detective novel, a radio play, as well as short pieces concerning disability. Along with the website he has created on Films Involving Disabilities, David continues to both educate and change the world in constructive ways.
About the Author
Thomas C. Weiss attended college and university courses earning a Masters, Bachelors and two Associate degrees, as well as pursing Disability Studies. As a Nursing Assistant Thomas has assisted people from a variety of racial, religious, gender, class, and age groups by providing care for people with all forms of disabilities from Multiple Sclerosis to Parkinson's; para and quadriplegia to Spina Bifida.
You're reading Disabled World. Be sure to check out our homepage for further informative disability news, reviews, disability sports events, exclusive stories and how-tos. You can also find us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
Related Recreation Documents
- 1: LOVE LAND Film Features Breakthrough Cast with Disabilities : LOVE LAND endorsed by the Disability Cinema Coalition is an independent film focused on the disability rights movement that challenges disability stereotypes.
- 2: Morgan's Inspiration Island Accessible Splash Park : World's first ultra-accessible Splash Park now being built at Morgan's Wonderland in San Antonio, Texas.
- 3: Deaf Comedian Tom Willard Performs at Caroline's on Broadway : Sign Language on Broadway - Deaf Rochester standup comedian performs at celebrated comedy club Carolines on Broadway.
- 4: Disabled Vets Receive Free Lifetime Access to U.S. National Parks : U.S. Senate passes S.327 Wounded Veterans Recreation Act allowing all veterans with service-connected disabilities free lifetime entry to US national parks and federal land.
- 5: Alice Sheppard and Kinetic Light Present NY Premiere of DESCENT : Alice Sheppard and Kinetic Light present New York Premiere of DESCENT, exploring the potent intersection of disability, dance, design, and technology at New York Live Arts March 22, 23, 24.
*Disclaimer: Disabled World provides general information only. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. View our Advertising Policy for further information. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.
Journal: Disabled World. Language: English (U.S.). Author: Thomas C. Weiss. Electronic Publication Date: 2009-05-12 - Revised: 2019-03-30. Title: Films Involving or Featuring Disabilities, Source: <a href=https://www.disabled-world.com/entertainment/disability-films.php>Films Involving or Featuring Disabilities</a>. Retrieved 2021-04-17, from https://www.disabled-world.com/entertainment/disability-films.php - Reference: DW#43-1623.