Heavy Load Movie Review
Author: Disabled World : Contact: Disabled World
Published: 2009-09-07 : (Rev. 2016-11-18)
Synopsis and Key Points:
Movie Heavy Load documents a year in the life of English punk band Heavy Load whose members include musicians with learning disabilities.
The Movie "Heavy Load" documents a year in the life of a middle-aged English punk-garage band, Heavy Load, whose members include three musicians with learning disabilities.
Heavy Load shows how the band overcomes various trials, and proves that punk culture, social activism, and learning disabilities are not exclusive to one another.
Heavy Load is about the struggle through difficulties as it captures how the band works its way up to a mainstream music festival.
Over the last 10 years Heavyload have managed to survive through their combination of raucous energy, attitude and sheer volume but now they are about to hit the big time with a feature length documentary (Heavy Load) being made about their journey from social care to stardom, and back again, and their mission to demonstrate that disability rocks.
There are few genres left in music that have yet to be defined. Heavyload have unwittingly created a brand new one.
Reviews from From RottenTomatoes.com
"Intriguing and engaging rockumentary that demolishes stereotypes of the mentally challenged, and celebrates the inspirational story of Heavy Load."
"Charting the high notes and bum notes during the two-year recording of their debut album 'The Queen Mother's Dead', it's a non-patronizing comedy of conflicting ambitions as they dive into the mainstream. Punk licks, crucified classics and Kylie collide in a film that turns the feel-good up to 11."
"The only difference is that three of the five have a learning disability - but in this documentary, which is very funny in places, it's not disabilities that define them."
Heavy Load's new found confidence enables them to establish the 'Stay Up Late' movement, a campaign to allow the disabled to stay out past the 7 to 9.30pm curfew that sees the band's audiences halved, taking their cause to the highest levels of government.
- 1 - Deaf Comedian Tom Willard Performs at Caroline's on Broadway : Tom Willard (2018/12/22)
- 2 - Alice Sheppard and Kinetic Light Present NY Premiere of DESCENT : Mariclare Hulbert, Lisa Niedermeyer, Alice Sheppard (2018/03/04)
- 3 - Black Heart Actor Shawn McClain Gives Breakthrough Performance : DAG Consulting (2011/07/20)
- 4 - Musical Putnam is an Uplifting Hit : Dionysus Theatre (2010/06/20)
- 5 - Films Involving or Featuring Disabilities : Thomas C. Weiss (2009/05/12)
- 6 - Free Things to Do On the Weekend When Bored : Disabled World (2017/10/22)
- 7 - Mayer-Johnson Products for People with Disabilities : Wendy Taormina-Weiss (2011/11/03)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.