Heavy Load Movie Review
Published : 2009-09-07 - Updated : 2016-11-18
Author : Disabled World - Contact: Disabled World
Synopsis* : Movie Heavy Load documents a year in the life of English punk band Heavy Load whose members include musicians with learning disabilities.
The Movie "Heavy Load" documents a year in the life of a middle-aged English punk-garage band, Heavy Load, whose members include three musicians with learning disabilities.
Heavy Load shows how the band overcomes various trials, and proves that punk culture, social activism, and learning disabilities are not exclusive to one another.
Heavy Load is about the struggle through difficulties as it captures how the band works its way up to a mainstream music festival.
Over the last 10 years Heavyload have managed to survive through their combination of raucous energy, attitude and sheer volume but now they are about to hit the big time with a feature length documentary (Heavy Load) being made about their journey from social care to stardom, and back again, and their mission to demonstrate that disability rocks.
There are few genres left in music that have yet to be defined. Heavyload have unwittingly created a brand new one.
Reviews from From RottenTomatoes.com
"Intriguing and engaging rockumentary that demolishes stereotypes of the mentally challenged, and celebrates the inspirational story of Heavy Load."
"Charting the high notes and bum notes during the two-year recording of their debut album 'The Queen Mother's Dead', it's a non-patronizing comedy of conflicting ambitions as they dive into the mainstream. Punk licks, crucified classics and Kylie collide in a film that turns the feel-good up to 11."
"The only difference is that three of the five have a learning disability - but in this documentary, which is very funny in places, it's not disabilities that define them."
Heavy Load's new found confidence enables them to establish the 'Stay Up Late' movement, a campaign to allow the disabled to stay out past the 7 to 9.30pm curfew that sees the band's audiences halved, taking their cause to the highest levels of government.
About the Author
Disabled World (Disabled-World.Com) is an independent disability community established in 2004 to provide disability news, assistive technology reviews, and disability sporting events, as well as general information for people with disabilities, seniors, their family and/or carers. Be sure to check out our homepage for informative reviews, exclusive stories and how-tos. You can also find us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
Related Recreation Documents
- 1: LOVE LAND Film Features Breakthrough Cast with Disabilities : LOVE LAND endorsed by the Disability Cinema Coalition is an independent film focused on the disability rights movement that challenges disability stereotypes.
- 2: Morgan's Inspiration Island Accessible Splash Park : World's first ultra-accessible Splash Park now being built at Morgan's Wonderland in San Antonio, Texas.
- 3: Deaf Comedian Tom Willard Performs at Caroline's on Broadway : Sign Language on Broadway - Deaf Rochester standup comedian performs at celebrated comedy club Carolines on Broadway.
- 4: Disabled Vets Receive Free Lifetime Access to U.S. National Parks : U.S. Senate passes S.327 Wounded Veterans Recreation Act allowing all veterans with service-connected disabilities free lifetime entry to US national parks and federal land.
- 5: Alice Sheppard and Kinetic Light Present NY Premiere of DESCENT : Alice Sheppard and Kinetic Light present New York Premiere of DESCENT, exploring the potent intersection of disability, dance, design, and technology at New York Live Arts March 22, 23, 24.
*Disclaimer: Disabled World provides general information only. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. View our Advertising Policy for further information. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.
Journal: Disabled World. Language: English (U.S.). Author: Disabled World. Electronic Publication Date: 2009-09-07 - Revised: 2016-11-18. Title: Heavy Load Movie Review, Source: <a href=https://www.disabled-world.com/entertainment/heavy-load-movie.php>Heavy Load Movie Review</a>. Retrieved 2021-04-17, from https://www.disabled-world.com/entertainment/heavy-load-movie.php - Reference: DW#43-2220.