How to Live Longer and Healthier - Leave America
Author: International Living
Published: Tuesday, 1st June 2010 (10 years ago) - Updated: Friday, 15th April 2016 (4 years ago) .
Want to live longer and healthier increase your chances if you move out of the US.
Want To Live Longer, Healthier, and Happier? Get Out of the U.S., Says InternationalLiving.com
So says InternationalLiving.com in a survey of its editors and writers from around the world. (The story, "Feel Younger, Live Longer: The World's Healthiest Places to Live in 2010" can be found at internationalliving.com/2010/05/worlds-healthiest-places-to-live-2010.)
Experts say that optimism and purpose, a low stress level, a natural diet and an active lifestyle are three times as important as your genetic makeup when it comes to enjoying a long and healthy life.
It's much easier to embrace those elements when you're living in a place where they come naturally, as they do in InternationalLiving.com editors' top picks for the world's healthiest places to live: Costa Rica, Ecuador, New Zealand, Panama, and Sardinia.
In these five top locations, people tend to put great value on personal interaction and friendship, and that involvement keeps people actively and positively engaged every day. A slower pace of life, often coupled with a much lower cost of living, relieves the pressure and anxiety so widespread in the U.S.
And while the "locavore" movement, which advocates eating foods grown near where you live, is just gaining momentum in the U.S., in the places profiled by InternationalLiving.com the foods you find at the markets have always been fresh, local and organic.
Also in these destinations, the air is clean and the sun shines so you tend to be outside more and therefore more active.
The combination of all these factors can have an immediate positive impact on health and wellness... as well as on your bottom line.
As American Lee Carper reported after a few months in Ecuador, "I haven't felt this good in so long I can't remember. I used to take pain medication, but here I rarely take an aspirin."
(The story, "Feel Younger, Live Longer: The World's Healthiest Places to Live in 2010" can be found at internationalliving.com/2010/05/worlds-healthiest-places-to-live-2010.)
D.W. Editor - How Long Will I Live - Life Span Expectancy Chart and Record Number of Americans Ready to Leave U.S.
- 1 - Safety of Gastric Banding Weight-Loss Surgery in Question | Winters Enright Salzetta & O'Brien, L.L.C. (2010-09-12 09:48:00)
- 2 - Anti-aging : How to Look and Feel Younger | Tonya Zavasta (2010-06-06 11:25:00)
- 3 - Appetite Loss After Exercising Explained | Albert Einstein College of Medicine (2018-04-25 12:50:00)
- 4 - Fatty Foods Not Empty Stomach Cause Hunger | University of Cincinnati Academic Health Center (2009-06-07 10:44:00)
- 5 - Old and New Food Pyramid Information and Pictures | Disabled World (2017-12-20 19:01:00)
- 6 - Bowflex Fitness and Exercise Machines | Dave Tupniak (2009-02-06 12:08:22)
- 7 - What Happens When We Starve? Phases of Starvation | Thomas C. Weiss (2016-02-01 11:28:02)