Monsanto's GMO Corn Linked to Organ Failure
Author: Disabled World : Contact: Disabled World
Published: 2010-01-30 : (Rev. 2018-05-29)
Data strongly suggests GM maize varieties induce a state of hepatorenal toxicity.
Monsanto's GMO Corn Linked To Organ Failure, Study Reveals, is the headline in an article from The Huffington Post (www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/12/monsantos-gmo-corn-linked_n_420365.html).
Genetically Modified Foods are Food items that have had their DNA changed through genetic engineering. Unlike conventional genetic modification that is carried out through time-tested conventional breeding of plants and animals. Combining genes from different organisms is known as recombinant DNA technology, and the resulting organism is said to be "genetically modified," "genetically engineered," or "transgenic." GM products include medicines and vaccines, foods and food ingredients, feeds, and fibers.
"...In a study released by the International Journal of Biological Sciences, analyzing the effects of genetically modified foods on mammalian health, researchers found that agricultural giant Monsanto's GM corn is linked to organ damage in rats."
Genetically Modified food, (GM) foods, are defined as food items that have had their DNA changed through genetic engineering. Unlike conventional genetic modification that is carried out through time-tested conventional breeding of plants and animals.
Combining genes from different organisms is known as recombinant DNA technology, and the resulting organism is said to be "genetically modified," "genetically engineered," or "transgenic." GM products include medicines and vaccines, foods and food ingredients, feeds, and fibers. Further information and list of GM foods.
GM technology inserts non-food genes into the DNA of food, sometimes making the crop more resilient to herbicides and other times causing them to produce toxic proteins that act as pesticides themselves. This process changes the structure of the food drastically and presents humans with substances that have never been a part of the human or animal diet.
Several countries in Europe, such as Germany and France, have already banned GM crops, including Mon 801. But the U.S. FDA has done us a potentially dangerous disservice by simply taking Monsanto's word that these genetically modified crops are safe and not doing any testing!
In the conclusion of the IJBS study, researchers wrote:
"Effects were mostly concentrated in kidney and liver function, the two major diet detoxification organs, but in detail differed with each GM type. In addition, some effects on heart, adrenal, spleen and blood cells were also frequently noted. As there normally exists sex differences in liver and kidney metabolism, the highly statistically significant disturbances in the function of these organs, seen between male and female rats, cannot be dismissed as biologically insignificant as has been proposed by others. We therefore conclude that our data strongly suggests that these GM maize varieties induce a state of hepatorenal toxicity....These substances have never before been an integral part of the human or animal diet and therefore their health consequences for those who consume them, especially over long time periods are currently unknown."
Tell the FDA to take these genetically modified corn varieties off the shelves until a peer-reviewed, two-year study can determine if they are safe for human consumption. Genetically Modified corn Petition - www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/755/645/429
- 1 - SNAP: The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (Food Stamps) : Wendy Taormina-Weiss (2012/08/27)
- 2 - Genetically Modified Food: GM Foods List and Information : Disabled World (2009/09/22)
- 3 - Fluoride Can Damage the Brain : NYS Coalition Opposed to Fluoridation (2011/06/24)
- 4 - Fluoridated Water Not Recommended for Infants : Fluoride Action Network (2010/10/07)
- 5 - Fish Consumption Advice from U.S. FDA and EPA : U.S. Food and Drug Administration and U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (2017/01/18)
- 6 - Humanitarian Crisis in the Sahel : The Alliance for International Medical Action (ALIMA) (2019/11/06)
- 7 - UN World Food Safety Day - 7th June Annually : World Health Organization (WHO) (2019/06/07)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.