Child Swallowed Button Battery? Honey May Reduce Injury

Author: Wiley
Published: 2018/06/12
Peer-Reviewed: N/A
Contents: Summary - Main - Related Publications

Synopsis: Study finds drinking honey or Carafate®, a cherry flavored duodenal ulcer prescription, may help reduce esophageal damage from button batteries swallowed by kids.

Ingestion of button batteries, which are frequently found in the household setting, can rapidly lead to caustic esophageal injury in infants and children.

Main Digest

Ingestion of button batteries, which are frequently found in the household setting, can rapidly lead to caustic esophageal injury in infants and children.

A new study published in The Laryngoscope found that drinking honey or Carafate® (a cherry- flavored duodenal ulcer prescription) may help reduce esophageal damage.

In experiments conducted on cadavers and live animals, both honey and Carafate® provided a physical barrier and neutralized the tissue pH increase associated with battery ingestion; they both reduced injury severity compared with other common household liquids, including apple juice, orange juice, sodas, sports drinks, and maple syrup.

Continued below image.
Honey pot and honey dipper stick
Honey pot and honey dipper stick
Continued...

"An esophageal button battery can quickly cause significant injury. We have identified protective interventions for both the household and hospital setting that can reduce injury severity," said co-principal investigator Dr. Kris Jatana, Associate Professor and Director of Pediatric Otolaryngology Quality Improvement at Nationwide Children's Hospital, in Columbus, OH.

"Our results will change the practice guidelines for how medical professionals acutely manage button battery ingestion."

Attribution/Source(s):

This quality-reviewed publication pertaining to our First Aid Treatment section was selected for circulation by the editors of Disabled World due to its likely interest to our disability community readers. Though the content may have been edited for style, clarity, or length, the article "Child Swallowed Button Battery? Honey May Reduce Injury" was originally written by Wiley, and submitted for publishing on 2018/06/12. Should you require further information or clarification, Wiley can be contacted at the wiley.com website. Disabled World makes no warranties or representations in connection therewith.

📢 Discover Related Topics


👍 Share This Information To:
𝕏.com Facebook Reddit

Page Information, Citing and Disclaimer

Disabled World is an independent disability community founded in 2004 to provide disability news and information to people with disabilities, seniors, their family and/or carers. See our homepage for informative reviews, exclusive stories and how-tos. You can connect with us on social media such as X.com and our Facebook page.

Permalink: <a href="https://www.disabled-world.com/medical/first-aid/battery-honey.php">Child Swallowed Button Battery? Honey May Reduce Injury</a>

Cite This Page (APA): Wiley. (2018, June 12). Child Swallowed Button Battery? Honey May Reduce Injury. Disabled World. Retrieved February 26, 2024 from www.disabled-world.com/medical/first-aid/battery-honey.php

Disabled World provides general information only. Materials presented are never meant to substitute for qualified professional medical care. Any 3rd party offering or advertising does not constitute an endorsement.