Doctor Donates Thousands of Flu Shots
Author: Doc George
Published: Sunday, 26th December 2010 (9 years ago) - Updated: Sunday, 26th December 2010 (9 years ago) .
Dr. M. George is well known for providing free flu shots for the past thirteen years to more than 28,000 people in his community.
Main DigestDr. M. George of the Birmingham Royal Oak Medical Group (BROMG) is well known for providing free flu shots for the past thirteen years to more than 28,000 people in his community at a cost of $300,000 to his clinic.
He also provides free Doctor visits for the unemployed and the uninsured. Now, Doc George, as he is known, is asking for help to win a Pepsi Refresh Grant of $25,000 to pay for more flu vaccine.
For the first time in thirteen years, during the Drive Thru Flu Shot Charity event, where donations of winter coats are exchanged for free flu shots, Dr. George charged $10 to help cover the costs of the vaccine. "Our community has been hurt by the economy and turnout was very low," says George, "fewer families were protected from the flu this year and our charities received fewer donations." Determined to give free flu shots, Doc George entered the Pepsi Refresh Project, where online votes and text votes determine grant winners.
Securing the thousands of votes needed to win is a challenge during the holidays, prompting several organizations to form an alliance they call Vote For Kid's Health, to help each other into the winners circle. Their mission is To Put Kids First by calling for a massive one-day voting spree, counting on the generosity of strangers to get 100,000 votes in one day. Dr. George and his partners are requesting people to vote online and by text, then to donate their Twitter and Facebook status to Vote For Kids Health on Thursday, 12/23/10 and again on 12/30/10 during the big Holiday Vote Blast of 2010.
Vote for Dr. George at www.refresheverything.com/FREEFLUSHOTS and by texting 104303 to 73774 (PEPSI) To vote for Doc George's partners find an easy voting page at www.voteforkidshealth.org. The Birmingham Royal Oak Medical Group provides walk-in urgent care and family medicine and has served the community for twenty-three years. To learn more about Birmingham Royal Oak Medical Group (BROMG)specialties and services please visit www.BROMG.com
- 1 - Vaccine for Urinary Tract Infections | University of Michigan Health System (2010-11-12 17:50:00)
- 2 - Vaccinating Pre-schoolers with Asthma Against the Flu | University of Montreal (2018-06-29 10:11:09)
- 3 - Global Resurgence of Deadly Pertussis Bacteria | Wolters Kluwer Health (2014-06-14 09:40:53)
- 4 - CVS Health Offering Hepatitis A Vaccine to Broward County Residents | CVS Health (2017-11-03 19:31:08)
- 5 - Breakthrough in Cancer Vaccine Research | University of Cambridge (2010-11-05 11:33:56)
- 6 - Missouri Seniors Should Get Flu and Pneumonia Vaccines | Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield in Missouri (2011-01-18 17:35:02)
- 7 - Free Flu Shots for North Carolina's Youth | Urgent Cares of America (2011-01-10 15:36:00)