Food and Drug Administration and the FDA Transparency Task Force
Published : 2010-02-04 - Updated : 2017-03-18
Author : Disabled World
Synopsis* : Outlines the role of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and the FDA Transparency Task Force blog.
What is the FDA
The FDA is an agency within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. It consists of six product centers, one research center, and two offices. The FDA is the government agency responsible for regulating food, dietary supplements, drugs, cosmetics, medical devices, biologics and blood products in the United States of America.
The FDA is responsible for protecting the public health by assuring the safety, efficacy, and security of human and veterinary drugs, biological products, medical devices, our nation's food supply, cosmetics, and products that emit radiation.
The U.S. FDA regulates:
- Foods, except for most meat and poultry products, which are regulated by the U.S. Department of Agriculture
- Food additives
- Infant formulas
- Dietary supplements
- Human drugs
- Vaccines, blood products, and other biologics
- Medical devices, from simple items like tongue depressors, to complex technologies such as heart pacemakers
- Electronic products that give off radiation, such as microwave ovens and X-ray equipment
- Feed, drugs, and devices used in pets, farm animals, and other animals
- Tobacco products
The FDA is also responsible for advancing the public health by helping to speed innovations that make medicines and foods more effective, safer, and more affordable; and helping the public get the accurate, science-based information they need to use medicines and foods to improve their health.
How do I report a problem with a FDA-regulated product?
There are several ways you can report problems to FDA:
- Call the FDA Consumer Complaint Coordinator for your geographic region.
- Report to FDA's MedWatch program any product problems or unexpected side effects (adverse events) that occur while using drugs, medical devices, dietary supplements, infant formulas, cosmetics, and blood products and other biologics (except for vaccines) either online, by regular mail, by fax, or by phone.
- Report a vaccine-related illness or injury to the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) or call 1-800-822-7967 to request a reporting form.
FDA Transparency Task Force
The Transparency Task Force is actively seeking input from the public about issues related to transparency and will work to identify what information the public most wants FDA to be transparent about. View some of the interesting replies at the FDA Transparency Task Force blog (fdatransparencyblog.fda.gov/2009/06/the-transparency-task-forces-first-question.html).
Is it Legal to Import Drugs into the U.S. - Article examines the legality of importing prescription drugs into the U.S. from Canada and Mexico.
About the Author
Disabled World (Disabled-World.Com) is an independent disability community established in 2004 to provide disability news, assistive technology reviews, and disability sporting events, as well as general information for people with disabilities, seniors, their family and/or carers. Be sure to check out our homepage for informative reviews, exclusive stories and how-tos. You can also find us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
Related Pharmaceutical Documents
- 1 - SMA1 Infant Life-Saving Zolgensma Therapy Unavailable in Canada : Ground-breaking new drug Zolgensma that could stop progression of Spinal Muscular Atrophy Type 1 (SMA1) is the most expensive medication in the world.
- 2 - U.S. Seniors Want Action to Lower Cost of Medicare Drugs : American senior citizens overwhelmingly want Congress to take action to lower cost of prescription drugs by reducing Medicare Part D out-of-pocket spending requirements.
- 3 - List of Benzodiazepines : Types and Medicinal Use : Explanation of Benzodiazepines (Benzos) including a list of common Benzodiazepine brand and other names, their medical purpose and uses.
- 4 - Comparison of Drug Prices Finds Extreme Variation in Costs : Analysis of highest and lowest prices of frequently prescribed brand name drugs finds extreme price variations among Medicare Part D drug plans.
- 5 - Study Reveals ADHD Drugs Do Not Improve Cognition in Healthy College Students : Contrary to popular belief across college campuses, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder medications may fail to improve cognition in healthy students and actually can impair functioning.
*Disclaimer: Disabled World provides general information only. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. View our Advertising Policy for further information. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.
Journal: Disabled World. Language: English (U.S.). Author: Disabled World. Electronic Publication Date: 2010-02-04 - Revised: 2017-03-18. Title: Food and Drug Administration and the FDA Transparency Task Force, Source: <a href=https://www.disabled-world.com/medical/pharmaceutical/fda.php>Food and Drug Administration and the FDA Transparency Task Force</a>. Retrieved 2021-05-05, from https://www.disabled-world.com/medical/pharmaceutical/fda.php - Reference: DW#269-3160.