DePuy Hip Replacement Recall Information
- Publish Date: 2010/10/08 - (Rev. 2010/11/03)
- Author: Brandon Brown
Outline: DePuy Orthopedics recalled two of its metal-on-metal hip replacement systems the ASR Hip Resurfacing System and the ASR XL Acetabular System.
Main DigestDePuy Orthopedics recalled two of its metal-on-metal hip replacement systems in August 2010 due to high failure rates. If you received a DePuy hip replacement, it's important to understand what the recall means to you.
DePuy Orthopedics, a division of Johnson & Johnson, recalled two of its metal-on-metal hip replacement systems - the ASR Hip Resurfacing System and the ASR XL Acetabular System - in August 2010 due to high failure rates. If you're one of the 93,000 Americans who received a DePuy hip replacement, it's important to understand what the recall means to you.
Why Did DePuy Recall Its ASR Products
The DePuy hip recall occurred on August 26th 2010 after the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) received hundreds of complaints from angry DePuy hip implant patients whose ASR hip implant devices failed shortly after surgery or caused them problems such as severe inflammation, pain in the groin, tissue death in the hip joint and loss of surrounding bone. Some of those injuries may have been caused by metal toxicity from debris generated from metal-on-metal wear - a condition which British studies reported on earlier in 2010. It is estimated that 12% of DePuy hip implant patients may need to undergo additional hip replacement surgery within just five years - an unacceptable percentage by any standard.
What Are DePuy Hip Implant Lawsuits Alleging
The recall has prompted hundreds of DePuy hip lawsuits alleging that the company knew about high failure rates and metal toxicity issues long before it initiated the recall and failed to warn patients about DePuy hip replacement side effects, injuries and the need to undergo another painful, time-consuming and expensive surgery. Thousands of lawsuits are expected to be filed and DePuy has already agreed to consolidate lawsuits into multi-district litigation (MDL) - a legal procedure which looks at common facts among litigants.
What Should You Do If You've Been Injured By A DePuy ASR Hip Implant
If you've been injured by a DePuy hip replacement system, contact a DePuy hip recall attorney to discuss your injuries and legal options. You may be entitled to compensation for your injuries including past and future medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering - as well as medical monitoring for metal toxicity.
Online since 1999, www.FreeAdvice.com provides consumers and small businesses with balanced and comprehensive legal information covering over 125 legal topics. These useful and professionally prepared answers to thousands of legal questions are written, reviewed, and updated by lawyers from leading law firms across the country. For further information, please contact us at 240-462-5858
- 1 - FDA Restricts Sale and Distribution of Essure | U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) | 2018/04/09
- 2 - Risks of Eating Raw Sprouts | Health Canada | 2010/08/12
- 3 - FDA Warns About Illegal Use of Injectable Silicone for Body Contouring and Associated Health Risks | U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) | 2017/11/14
- 4 - Paraffin Candles Source of Carcinogens and Pollution | American Chemical Society | 2009/08/19
- 5 - Lead and Cadmium Hazard in Children's Jewellery Warning | Health Canada | 2010/02/07
- 6 - FDA Warning: Potential Contamination in Multiple Brands Of Drugs, Dietary Supplements | U.S. Food and Drug Administration | 2017/08/14
- 7 - FDA Warning: Elevated Levels of Belladonna in Certain Homeopathic Teething Products | U.S. Food and Drug Administration | 2017/01/30
- 8 - Mixing Grapefruit and Medication Can Have Serious Adverse Effects | Canadian Medical Association Journal | 2012/11/26
Help Spread Disability AwarenessConnect with Us on Social Media