DePuy Hip Replacement Recall Information
Published : 2010-10-08 - Updated : 2010-11-03
Author : Brandon Brown
Synopsis* : DePuy Orthopedics recalled two of its metal-on-metal hip replacement systems the ASR Hip Resurfacing System and the ASR XL Acetabular System.
Main DigestDePuy Orthopedics recalled two of its metal-on-metal hip replacement systems in August 2010 due to high failure rates. If you received a DePuy hip replacement, it's important to understand what the recall means to you.
DePuy Orthopedics, a division of Johnson & Johnson, recalled two of its metal-on-metal hip replacement systems - the ASR Hip Resurfacing System and the ASR XL Acetabular System - in August 2010 due to high failure rates. If you're one of the 93,000 Americans who received a DePuy hip replacement, it's important to understand what the recall means to you.
Why Did DePuy Recall Its ASR Products
The DePuy hip recall occurred on August 26th 2010 after the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) received hundreds of complaints from angry DePuy hip implant patients whose ASR hip implant devices failed shortly after surgery or caused them problems such as severe inflammation, pain in the groin, tissue death in the hip joint and loss of surrounding bone. Some of those injuries may have been caused by metal toxicity from debris generated from metal-on-metal wear - a condition which British studies reported on earlier in 2010. It is estimated that 12% of DePuy hip implant patients may need to undergo additional hip replacement surgery within just five years - an unacceptable percentage by any standard.
What Are DePuy Hip Implant Lawsuits Alleging
The recall has prompted hundreds of DePuy hip lawsuits alleging that the company knew about high failure rates and metal toxicity issues long before it initiated the recall and failed to warn patients about DePuy hip replacement side effects, injuries and the need to undergo another painful, time-consuming and expensive surgery. Thousands of lawsuits are expected to be filed and DePuy has already agreed to consolidate lawsuits into multi-district litigation (MDL) - a legal procedure which looks at common facts among litigants.
What Should You Do If You've Been Injured By A DePuy ASR Hip Implant
If you've been injured by a DePuy hip replacement system, contact a DePuy hip recall attorney to discuss your injuries and legal options. You may be entitled to compensation for your injuries including past and future medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering - as well as medical monitoring for metal toxicity.
Online since 1999, www.FreeAdvice.com provides consumers and small businesses with balanced and comprehensive legal information covering over 125 legal topics. These useful and professionally prepared answers to thousands of legal questions are written, reviewed, and updated by lawyers from leading law firms across the country. For further information, please contact us at 240-462-5858
You're reading Disabled World. Be sure to check out our homepage for further informative disability news, reviews, disability sports events, exclusive stories and how-tos. You can also find us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
Related Recalls - Advisories Documents
- 1 - FDA Restricts Sale and Distribution of Essure : U.S. FDA restricts sale and distribution of Essure to protect women and to require that patients receive risk information.
- 2 - FDA Warns About Illegal Use of Injectable Silicone for Body Contouring and Associated Health Risks : United States FDA issues safety communication about illegal use of injectable silicone for body contouring and associated health risks.
- 3 - FDA Warning: Potential Contamination in Multiple Brands Of Drugs, Dietary Supplements : FDA advises not to use any liquid drug or dietary supplement products manufactured by PharmaTech LLC of Davie, Florida, and labeled by Rugby Laboratories, Major Pharmaceuticals and Leader Brands, due to potential contamination.
- 4 - FDA Warning: Elevated Levels of Belladonna in Certain Homeopathic Teething Products : FDA warns homeopathic teething tablets containing belladonna pose unnecessary risk to infants and children and urges consumers not to use these products.
- 5 - Laundry Detergent Pods Deadly Risk for Children : Laundry detergent pods are small, colorful, and may look like candy or juice to a young child.
*Disclaimer: Disabled World provides general information only. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. View our Advertising Policy for further information. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.
Journal: Disabled World. Language: English (U.S.). Author: Brandon Brown. Electronic Publication Date: 2010-10-08 - Revised: 2010-11-03. Title: DePuy Hip Replacement Recall Information, Source: <a href=https://www.disabled-world.com/medical/recalls/depuy-hip-recall.php>DePuy Hip Replacement Recall Information</a>. Retrieved 2021-05-09, from https://www.disabled-world.com/medical/recalls/depuy-hip-recall.php - Reference: DW#301-5761.