Recalled Eggs Check Numbers on Egg Carton
- Publish Date: 2010/08/24
- Author: FDA Consumer Health Information
Outline: The number of eggs being recalled in a multi-state Salmonella outbreak is growing.
Main DigestThe number of eggs being recalled in a multi-state Salmonella outbreak is growing.
U.S. consumers are wondering which eggs are safe to eat after a second Iowa company issued a recall of whole, raw eggs linked to a nationwide Salmonella outbreak.
Hillandale Farms in New Hampton issued a recall of eggs from two of its plants on Aug. 20, saying there have been laboratory-confirmed illnesses associated with the eggs. The announcement comes just two days after Wright County Egg in Galt expanded its Aug. 13 recall to a total of 380 million eggs.
Here's what you should look for on the carton of eggs:
Plant numbers - the four-digit plant number can be found on the short side of the carton. The numbers are preceded by the letter P (see graphic).
Julian date - eggs are packaged with the Julian date on the short side of the carton after the plant number (see graphic). The Julian date tells what day of the year the eggs were packaged without the month, so Jan. 1 is 001, and Dec. 31 is 365.
The Wright County Farms eggs that are being recalled are:
P1720 and P1942 - with Julian dates ranging from 136 to 229
P1026, 1413,1946 - with Julian dates ranging from 136 to 225
Hillandale Farms egg cartons affected by the recall will have these numbers:
P1860 - Julian dates ranging from 099 to 230
P1663 - Julian dates ranging from 137 to 230
Further Information from the U.S. FDA on the Egg Recall Alert:
To learn how you can find out if your eggs are among those being recalled, go to www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm223578.htm
- 1 - FDA Restricts Sale and Distribution of Essure | U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) | 2018/04/09
- 2 - Risks of Eating Raw Sprouts | Health Canada | 2010/08/12
- 3 - FDA Warns About Illegal Use of Injectable Silicone for Body Contouring and Associated Health Risks | U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) | 2017/11/14
- 4 - Paraffin Candles Source of Carcinogens and Pollution | American Chemical Society | 2009/08/19
- 5 - Lead and Cadmium Hazard in Children's Jewellery Warning | Health Canada | 2010/02/07