Rabat the Capital of Morocco to Host African Para Games
Author: The International Paralympic Committee (IPC)(i) : Contact: paralympic.org
Published: 2019-04-02 : (Rev. 2019-04-08)
Synopsis and Key Points:
Rabat the capital of Morocco will host the first African Para Games next January in 2020.
Rabat to host first African Para Games next January.
African athletes have platform to showcase their excellence.
History will be made in Morocco in 2020 with confirmation that the country's capital, Rabat, is to host the first African Para Games next January.
The announcement comes after a protocol agreement was signed in the presence of International Paralympic Committee (IPC) President Andrew Parsons on Monday 2 April.
Around 1,200 athletes are expected to attend the continent's main Para sport competition and compete across Africa's seven most-practiced Para sports:
- blind football
- sitting volleyball
- wheelchair basketball
Most of the events will act as qualifiers for the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games, set to be held between 25 August and 6 September.
Map of Morocco showing the location of Rabat the capital city. The border with Algeria can be clearly seen.
"This is an historic moment for the Paralympic Movement. I am very glad and thankful to the Moroccan authorities that we will have the opportunity to organise this Para Games in Africa for the first time. African Para athletes will have a good chance to qualify for Tokyo 2020 and showcase their abilities to the wider audience."
African Paralympic Committee President Leonel da Rocha Pinto added:
"It is another important step for the recognition of sports for people with disabilities in the African continent. A dream becomes a reality. In October last year during a meeting of African Ministers of Sports, Education and Youth organised by the African Union in Algiers, the African Paralympic Committee was recognised as the legitimate umbrella body for all matters related to Sports for Persons with a Disability. The meeting also endorsed the African Para Games as an official qualification multi-sport event for African Para athletes every four years in the lead up to the Paralympic Games. I am very grateful that the Royal Kingdom of Morocco and the Moroccan Sports Minister will give our African athletes the platform to showcase their excellence."
Hamid Al Aouni, President of NPC Morocco, said:
"I am very glad and honoured that my home city of Rabat will host the first edition of the African Para Games. We do have fantastic sports facilities here in Rabat; well-prepared and experienced experts that will organise the Games; the government and partners who will support; and society that love all type of sports."
Athlete classification evaluation, anti-doping educational courses and a Proud Paralympian workshop will be held in the lead-up to and during the African Para Games.
(i)Source/Reference: The International Paralympic Committee (IPC). Disabled World makes no warranties or representations in connection therewith. Content may have been edited for style, clarity or length.
- 1 - United Through Sports 2020 World Virtual Youth Festival : IPC : The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) (2020/10/07)
- 2 - IWBF's Non-compliance with 2015 IPC Athlete Classification Code : International Paralympic Committee (IPC) (2020/09/04)
- 3 - Move United: America's Community Based Adaptive Sports Organization : Susan Rossi (2020/05/05)
- 4 - Rabat the Capital of Morocco to Host African Para Games : The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) (2019/04/02)
- 5 - Portable Bocce Courts Could Expand Bocce Playing in Hong Kong : Packaworld (2018/10/15)
- 6 - Goalball UK Trials Revolutionary Portable Goalball Goals : Packaworld (2018/05/07)
- 7 - North Pole to be Made Wheelchair Accessible : Team Independence '09 (2009/03/30)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.