Be My Eyes App for Blind and People with Low Vision
Published : 2015-01-19 - Updated : 2018-04-30
Author : Be My Eyes - Contact: www.bemyeyes.org
🛈 Synopsis : Be My Eyes App helps you help person with vision disabilities by answering their questions via video chat.
Be My Eyes may have solved a problem that potentially could make life a bit easier for blind people all over the World, and may have made a tiny revolution in the world of volunteering
Be the eyes for a blind person in need of help remotely through a live video connection if you are sighted or be assisted by the network of sighted users if you are blind.
A new app helps you 'lend' your eyes to a person with vision disability and answer their questions over video chat to help them navigate or read a sign.
Be My Eyes makes life easier for people who are blind or have low vision, by connecting them with sighted helpers through a smartphone app.
This allows people with vision disabilities to handle big and small tasks, while sighted get the joy of helping someone else in a easy and informal way.
Through the app people who are blind or have low vision can connect with a sighted helper by pointing their phone camera at an object, which displays on the volunteer's camera.
Be My Eyes Team
The sighted helper can then tell a person with vision disability what it is that they're pointing at.
The app Be My Eyes, developed by a new Danish non-profit 'startup', connects people who are blind and sighted people through their iPhones and iPads.
The app's founder, Hans Jorgen Wiberg, who is a person with vision disability himself, said he hopes "that by helping each other as an online community, Be My Eyes will make a big difference in the everyday lives of people who are blind all over the world."
Since the app was launched on January 13, it has assisted people over 2,600 people on more than 5,400 occasions, according to the Be My Eyes website.
English, Bokmal, Norwegian, Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Nynorsk, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Requires iOS 7.0 or later.
- Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.
Source/Reference: Be My Eyes (www.bemyeyes.org). Disabled World makes no warranties or representations in connection therewith. Content may have been edited for style, clarity or length.
Related Disability Apps Documents
- 1: KNFB Reader App: Sight for People with Vision Disability : App allows people who are blind to listen to audio, read back printed text from menus in restaurants, to browsing handouts in the classroom.
- 2: Google Glass App Real Time Closed Captioning : Researchers have created speech-to-text software for Google Glass that helps hard-of-hearing with everyday conversations.
- 3: Voiceitt Makes Alexa Accessible for Disabled : Voiceitt announces people with speech impairments will now be able to use the Voiceitt mobile app to access and interact with Amazon Alexa.
- 4: Sensory from Within Autism Discovery App : Sensory from Within App enables wide range of ages, abilities, and communication styles, to understand the Autism spectrum and gain tools, strategies, and understanding.
- 5: Autism & Beyond: Autism Facial Expressions App : Autism & Beyond App screens for autism by reading facial expressions of children for emotional cues.
You're reading Disabled World. Be sure to check out our homepage for further informative disability news, reviews, exclusive stories and how-tos. You can also follow Disabled World on social media sites such as Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
Disclaimer: Disabled World provides general information only. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. View our Advertising Policy for further information. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.
Journal: Disabled World. Language: English (U.S.). Author: Be My Eyes. Electronic Publication Date: 2015-01-19 - Revised: 2018-04-30. Title: Be My Eyes App for Blind and People with Low Vision, Source: <a href=https://www.disabled-world.com/assistivedevices/apps/bemyeyes.php>Be My Eyes App for Blind and People with Low Vision</a>. Retrieved 2021-04-11, from https://www.disabled-world.com/assistivedevices/apps/bemyeyes.php - Reference: DW#468-11136.