Free App Provides Audio Streaming of Newspapers and Magazines
Published : 2014-10-03 - Updated : 2016-06-11
Author : Connecticut Radio Information System, Inc.
🛈 Synopsis : New free Android smartphone app provides a method for blind, or have print disabilities, to access narrated versions of newspapers and magazines.
CRIS (Connecticut Radio Information System, Inc.) has announced the release of an Android smartphone app that makes it easy for people who are blind, and those with other print disabilities to access human narrated versions of newspapers and magazines from Android smartphones.
The mobile application called "CRIS Radio" was developed for CRIS by Apps4Android, the world's largest developer of Android accessibility applications.
The fully-accessible app is being provided at no-cost-to-users and is available for downloading from Google Play.
- Live streaming broadcasts 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- User-driven bookmark reminders notifying listeners five minutes before their favorite program(s) are broadcast.
- Program guide (updated daily) to all audio broadcasts of human-narrated articles from nearly 50 newspapers and magazines.
According to Diane Weaver Dunne, executive director of CRIS,
"Making CRIS broadcasts easily available on smartphones with the new CRIS Radio app provides our listeners with the same access to newspapers and magazines as their friends, family, and colleagues enjoy. Apps4Android has made access to print information easier."
Steve Jacobs, CEO of Apps4Android, stated,
"It's great being able to partner with the likes of CRIS Radio to deliver high-quality human narrated audio programming to individuals who are blind, worldwide."
Related Disability Apps Documents
- 1: KNFB Reader App: Sight for People with Vision Disability : App allows people who are blind to listen to audio, read back printed text from menus in restaurants, to browsing handouts in the classroom.
- 2: Google Glass App Real Time Closed Captioning : Researchers have created speech-to-text software for Google Glass that helps hard-of-hearing with everyday conversations.
- 3: Voiceitt Makes Alexa Accessible for Disabled : Voiceitt announces people with speech impairments will now be able to use the Voiceitt mobile app to access and interact with Amazon Alexa.
- 4: Sensory from Within Autism Discovery App : Sensory from Within App enables wide range of ages, abilities, and communication styles, to understand the Autism spectrum and gain tools, strategies, and understanding.
- 5: Autism & Beyond: Autism Facial Expressions App : Autism & Beyond App screens for autism by reading facial expressions of children for emotional cues.
You're reading Disabled World. Be sure to check out our homepage for further informative disability news, reviews, exclusive stories and how-tos. You can also follow Disabled World on social media sites such as Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
Disclaimer: Disabled World provides general information only. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. View our Advertising Policy for further information. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.
Journal: Disabled World. Language: English (U.S.). Author: Connecticut Radio Information System, Inc.. Electronic Publication Date: 2014-10-03 - Revised: 2016-06-11. Title: Free App Provides Audio Streaming of Newspapers and Magazines, Source: <a href=https://www.disabled-world.com/assistivedevices/apps/crisradio.php>Free App Provides Audio Streaming of Newspapers and Magazines</a>. Retrieved 2021-04-11, from https://www.disabled-world.com/assistivedevices/apps/crisradio.php - Reference: DW#468-10653.