Free App Provides Audio Streaming of Newspapers and Magazines
Author: Connecticut Radio Information System, Inc.
Published: 2014-10-03 - (Updated: 2016-06-11)
New free Android smartphone app provides a method for blind, or have print disabilities, to access narrated versions of newspapers and magazines.
CRIS (Connecticut Radio Information System, Inc.) has announced the release of an Android smartphone app that makes it easy for people who are blind, and those with other print disabilities to access human narrated versions of newspapers and magazines from Android smartphones.
The mobile application called "CRIS Radio" was developed for CRIS by Apps4Android, the world's largest developer of Android accessibility applications.
The fully-accessible app is being provided at no-cost-to-users and is available for downloading from Google Play.
- Live streaming broadcasts 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- User-driven bookmark reminders notifying listeners five minutes before their favorite program(s) are broadcast.
- Program guide (updated daily) to all audio broadcasts of human-narrated articles from nearly 50 newspapers and magazines.
According to Diane Weaver Dunne, executive director of CRIS,
"Making CRIS broadcasts easily available on smartphones with the new CRIS Radio app provides our listeners with the same access to newspapers and magazines as their friends, family, and colleagues enjoy. Apps4Android has made access to print information easier."
Steve Jacobs, CEO of Apps4Android, stated,
"It's great being able to partner with the likes of CRIS Radio to deliver high-quality human narrated audio programming to individuals who are blind, worldwide."
- 1 - Unitron Coach App Enables Users to Take Control of Hearing Health : Unitron (2020/02/28)
- 2 - IVH HIT App Provides Coronavirus (CoViD-19) Prevention and Safety Tips : iValueHealth (2020/02/27)
- 3 - Sesame Enable App Turns Android into Touch-Free Smartphone : Sesame Enable (2016/05/19)
- 4 - AccessAble App Takes the Chance Out of Going Out in the UK : AccessAble (2019/02/15)
- 5 - Track My Route School Bus Tracking App Gives Special Needs Parents Peace of Mind : TMR Technology (2019/02/11)
- 6 - VoiceOver Compatible Apps for Apple iPhone and Mac : Disabled World (2011/03/06)
- 7 - iPod and iPad Grants for Education : Wendy Taormina-Weiss (2011/11/08)