Today is World Osteoporosis Day - 20 Oct 2009
- Publish Date: 2009/10/20 - (Rev. 2010/01/16)
- Author: International Osteoporosis Foundation
Outline: Individuals and governments around the globe join the fight against osteoporosis.
Main DigestSpeaking in Rome, Italy today on the occasion of World Osteoporosis Day, International Osteoporosis Foundation (IOF) CEO Patrice McKenney called for individuals and governments around the globe to join the fight against osteoporosis.
"Osteoporosis is a common but devastating disease which we cannot afford to ignore. Immediate measures must be taken to reduce the burden of osteoporotic fractures through prevention, early recognition of fracture risk, and appropriate proven treatment for those in need," she urged.
Osteoporosis, a disease in which bones weaken and are susceptible to fracture, is an increasing concern in all countries, particularly those with large and growing populations over the age of 50.
How common is osteoporosis
Around the world one in three women and one in five men over the age of fifty will suffer an osteoporotic fracture. In Europe alone, a fracture occurs every 8 seconds. Fractures can have serious consequences, causing pain and debilitation. They all too often result in lost quality of life, long-term dependence, or even death; one in five hip fracture patients die within 12 months of fracture.
Despite its widespread impact, the socio-economic burden of osteoporosis is sadly underestimated. Few governments recognize the enormous cost that the disease represents to individuals, their families, health care systems and facilities for the elderly.
On World Osteoporosis Day, IOF joins its almost 200 global patient and medical member societies in calling for individual and government action to make bone health and fracture prevention a priority.
About The International Osteoporosis Foundation
The International Osteoporosis Foundation (IOF) is a not-for-profit, nongovernmental organization dedicated to the worldwide fight against osteoporosis, the disease known as 'the silent epidemic'.
- 1 - Awareness Ribbons Chart: Color and Meaning of Awareness Ribbon Causes | Disabled World | 2015/03/09
- 2 - The Sunflower Lanyard Program for Hidden Disabilities | Disabled World | 2019/11/09
- 3 - Awareness Dates: Days - Weeks - Months | Disabled World | 2011/04/30
- 4 - U.N. International Awareness and Commemorative Dates | Disabled World | 2018/12/20
- 5 - UN World Food Safety Day - 7th June Annually | World Health Organization (WHO) | 2019/06/07