Airplane Evacuation Sling for Wheelchair Users
Author: ADAPTS LLC : Contact: adapts.org
Crowdfunding campaign for affordable and portable emergency evacuation sling for wheelchair users on an airplane.
ADAPTS LLC has announced the launch of a crowdfunding campaign on Kickstarter for the world's first affordable and portable emergency evacuation sling for wheelchair users on an airplane. Simultaneously, A Disabled Passenger Transfer Sling (ADAPTS), will be demonstrated for the first time at the Abilities Expo in San Mateo, Calif. this weekend.
Transfer Sling Targeted for Emergency Evacuations
ADAPTS solves the longstanding problem of how to quickly and safely evacuate people with disabilities and injured people from disasters. ADAPTS' lightweight and strong fabric allows rescuers to move people to first responders. The convenient sling is essential anywhere a disaster strikes, including aircraft, cruise ships, public venues, hotels and homes. The compact sling is easy for travelers to carry. It can be used to rescue people from anywhere a stretcher can't go, such as floods, hurricanes, fires or earthquakes.
ADAPTS LLC launches a Kickstarter crowdfunding campaign for the first portable and affordable emergency sling for wheelchair users on an airplane. The sling is designed to quickly and safely evacuate people with disabilities or injuries from disasters. The convenient sling is easy for anyone to rescue people anywhere a stretcher cannot go, such as during floods, fires, hurricanes or earthquakes. Valuable time and lives can be saved by using A Disabled Passenger Transfer Sling (ADAPTS).
"When I was a flight attendant, I knew we needed a better way to save people, an actual device to move passengers with disabilities away from an airplane crash fast," Robin Wearley, founder of ADAPTS LLC, said.
"Every day I worry about people in wheelchairs who travel on planes," Wearley added.
Precious Time and Lives Can be Saved with ADAPTS
"Products like the ADAPTS system fill an important safety need for the entire disabled community," Jeff Butler, 2016 Paralympic Games USA wheelchair rugby team silver medalist, said.
There is no affordable assistive device available in the marketplace today that carries wheelchair users or the injured down a narrow aisle to emergency exits during an airplane evacuation, according to ADAPTS LLC research.
"As wheelchair travelers increase in number and take to the skies, it is only a matter of time until one of us is caught in a life-and-death situation on an airplane," John Morris, disability advocate at WheelchairTravel.org, said.
Currently, the grab and run method is the primary way airline crews get wheelchair passengers off of planes. ADAPTS allows anybody to rescue passengers, saving precious time during an emergency. Once at the bottom of the slide, they can be rapidly carried to first responders.
"Any evacuation device needs to be fast and simple to use, water and flame resistant, and have no sharp points to puncture inflatable slides," Wearley said.
Kickstarter Brings ADAPTS to the World
From Oct. 27 through Dec. 18, ADAPTS will be available through Kickstarter for a pre-order price of $129. The yellow sling is made from sturdy life jacket fabric and folds into a tote. Backers can support ADAPTS at a variety of reward levels.
After a successful Kickstarter campaign, ADAPTS will be available next year.
ADAPTS will be demonstrated for the first time at the San Mateo Abilities Expo this weekend at booth 340. The Expo features recent technologies, products and lifestyle solutions to improve the lives of people with disabilities and their communities.
More information about ADAPTS and its Kickstarter campaign can be found here, http://www.adapts.org and https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/adapts/adapts-a-disabled-passenger-transfer-sling
- 1 - Adaptive Clothing Dignity by Design Enterprise, LLC - Fashion Apparel Without Limitations : Dignity by Design Enterprise, LLC (2009/08/25)
- 2 - Inventions: Disability, Medical and Health Related Products : Disabled World (2015/11/02)
- 3 - Inventions Needed to Make Everyday Life Easier : Disabled World (2019/03/27)
- 4 - Airline Seat Design Allows Disabled Passengers to Fly in Own Wheelchair : Molon Labe, LLC (2020/03/19)
- 5 - Horizon Electric Trike - Mobility for People with Disabilities : Outrider USA (2014/03/22)
- 6 - Investors Wanted for Wheeling Comforts - An Accessible Retreat for Disabled : Gracye Reed (2018/10/22)
- 7 - WHILL, Inc. Raises $45 Million in Funding : WHILL, Inc. (2018/09/17)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.