Camp Little Giant Now Accepting 2017 Registrations
Synopsis: Camp Little Giant therapeutic recreation camp offers children and adults of varying abilities and disabilities a great summer camp experience.1
Author: Southern Illinois University, Carbondale IL 62901 Contact: 618-453-1121 Ext. 231
Camp Little Giant, Southern Illinois University Carbondale's therapeutic recreation camp where children and adults of varying abilities and disabilities can enjoy a real summer camp experience, is now accepting 2017 registrations.
The camp, one of the nation's first such programs in the country when it opened in 1952, gives participants the opportunity to enjoy boat rides, swimming, music, horseback riding, arts and crafts, dances, campfires, talent shows, nature hikes and all kinds of other activities. Trained staff members adapt each of the activities to the needs and abilities of individual campers.
Touch of Nature Environmental Center, a 3,100-acre facility located about eight miles south of Carbondale on Giant City Road, is the setting for the co-educational camp. There are nine different sessions, each geared toward different ages and abilities and ranging from six to 13 days, happening along the shores of Little Grassy Lake this summer.
The 2017 Camp Little Giant Schedule, along with the special population for which each session is designed, includes:
- June 11-16: Camp Olympia I, for adults 21 and older with high care needs, low mobility or using wheelchairs.
- June 11-23: Camp Olympia II, for adults 21 and older with high care needs, low mobility or using wheelchairs.
- June 18-30: Camp Traditions II, for adults 21 and older with physical, cognitive or developmental disabilities.
- June 25-30: Camp Traditions III, for adults 21 and older with physical, cognitive or developmental disabilities.
- July 9-14: Camp Traditions IV, for adults 21 and older with physical, cognitive or developmental disabilities.
- July 16-21: Camp Shawnee I, for youths ages 8-21 with physical, cognitive or developmental disabilities.
- July 16-28: Camp Shawnee II, for youths ages 8-21 with physical, cognitive or developmental disabilities.
- July 23-28: Camp Shawnee III, for youths ages 8-21 with physical, cognitive or developmental disabilities.
- July 30-Aug. 5: Dyna Camp, for youths ages 8-19 with attention hyperactivity disorder or attention deficit disorder.
The cost for those who need less intensive and individualized care and supervision is $550 for a five-day session or $1,200 for a 13-day session.
For those requiring one-on-one care and supervision, the cost is $1,000 for a five-day camp and $2,100 for a 13-day session.
Registration for the seven-day Dyna Camp is $650 for those needing less assistance or $1,200 for those requiring individual care.
Camp Little Giant, accredited by The American Camp Association, provides 24-hour supervision, including on-site nurses to supervise medical management and medication intake. The typical ratio is one staff member to no more than four campers and one-on-one assistance is available for those requiring extra support.
Some campers may qualify for scholarship assistance. Scholarships and reservations are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Find camp registration forms and additional information online at www.ton.siu.edu; click on "Camps and Retreats." Or, call 618/453-1121, ext. 231.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have additional questions or to learn about day camp options.
Related Disability Camps Documents
Full List of Disability Camps Publications Full List of Disabled World News Updates
Recent Disability News and Updates
Full List of Disabled World News Updates
Disclaimer: Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.
Disclosure: Disabled World is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. View our Advertising Policy for further information.