Camp Inspire for Ventilator-dependent Children
Author: The Woodlands : Contact: mywoodlands.org
Synopsis and Key Points:
The Woodlands Camp Inspire is a camp specifically for ventilator-dependent children from July 16 to 21, 2017.
The Woodlands, in partnership with Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC, will be hosting Camp Inspire, a camp specifically for ventilator-dependent children, July 16-21, 2017.
One of the only camps of its kind nation-wide, the six-day, five-night camp is designed for children and teens with complex medical conditions. Many have tracheostomies, ventilators, and BiPAP machines to assist them.
The 2017 Camp Inspire theme is "Space Odyssey" with a variety of outer-space-inspired activities.
In addition to stargazing while camping outdoors in tents, campers will have the chance to explore an inflatable, all-accessible planetarium thanks to a visit from the Carnegie Science Center.
Campers will make their own jet pack or rocket booster decorations for wheelchairs, and create a 3D mural of outer space.
Pittsburgh Space Command will demonstrate model rockets, and campers will create and launch their own water-pressure-powered water bottle rockets.
Campers will also enjoy traditional summer camp activities, such as swimming, archery, zip-line rides, drum circles, and a scavenger hunt.
"We do whatever it takes to make our campers' biggest wishes come true," said Jesse Solomon, Director of Programs at The Woodlands. "Our goal is to have them experience as much as possible, encouraging them and enabling them to participate to the highest degree."
An open house sponsored by Philips Respironics will be held at 5:30 p.m. on Wednesday, July 19. Open to the public, this event will include a cookout and a camper talent show.
The Carnegie Science Center planetarium presentation will take place on The Woodlands' campus on Tuesday, July 18, at 10:00am and 11:00am.
Pittsburgh Space Command's demonstration will take place on Thursday, July 20, at 10:00am.
These events are not open to the public. Media are invited to attend Camp Inspire activities throughout the week. Please submit reservations for attendance to the Marketing Office by July 14.
- 1 - Summer Camps Take Action to Protect Children from Tick Bites and Lyme Disease : Global Lyme Alliance (2018/05/01)
- 2 - Quests Camp Thunderbird Florida : Disabled World (2009/02/04)
- 3 - Lilly Diabetes Donates $92,000 in Camp Scholarships : Eli Lilly and Company (2015/02/03)
- 4 - See the Future - Summer Programs from Lighthouse for the Blind-Saint Louis : Lighthouse for the Blind-Saint Louis (2018/06/14)
- 5 - Facing Fears to Send Children with Disabilities to Camp : CENTURY 21 Canada Limited Partnership (2011/08/26)
- 6 - Asperger's and Autism Summer Camps Opens for Kids with Special Needs - Grand Rapids, Michigan : Horizons Developmental Remediation Center (2010/05/09)
- 7 - OHEL Diverse Programs for Children and Adults with Disabilities : OHEL Children's Home and Family Services (2017/10/20)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.